Never Before Seen Map

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Never Before Seen Map

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... 958/page-3

This is something that Bryan has discovered, this thread of magazine scans which include few pages of Unreal stuff. If you've been into collecting ancient unreal screenshots/magazines you may think this is nothing new. But it is.

Apart from earlier Bluff Eversmoking and a screenshot from what appears to be the map called "Nemo", this includes also screnshot of what appears to be early version of Triton, one of the maps described in one of the existing design documents for Unreal.

The only thing we ever got from the map is the little "fortressentrance" map, obviously at that point a redesigned entrance to Triton by Shane Caudle. That was found laying around in Emissary directories as one of the few Unreal related maps they had for that particular version of Unreal (0.871d), apart from moros16, ruins8 and aztec5, all of which later versions we were familiar with. fortressentrance I already guessed to be Triton but now due to this screenshot featuring Nali Ghost Ship, a prominent feature of the map, this became confirmed. It also shows the apparent first use of the same kind of textures later used at skytown.

I think despite being early 1997 those maps ooze atmosphere. More so than many later Unreal maps which have been milked for the drama. I really love this and I wish that the Emissary developers had some of these maps around, only like three builds had any Unreal maps with them usually in separate zips and the number of maps didn't exceed 4 in each case and most often it was maps we already knew. But there was sooo much more...and it's a shame we never got to play these beauties. I'm gonna cry really. The fortressentrance might have been more detailed as its a later version from august 1997, but damn that was just the entrance alone, here we have an earlier entire map. Really, to me this is pure gold stuff.

EDIT: This is the image: Image
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959