Is this the only dove that has seen the Unreal title screen?

Post general stuff here
Forum rules
Do Not Post About Other Games here but in the Thread provided for it.
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Is this the only dove that has seen the Unreal title screen?

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

I was recently chatting with Leo(T.C.K.) about birds, which reminded me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago! I live in a very rural location and all manner of creatures fly/crawl/make their way indoors, birds, bees, hedgehogs and a even a couple of frogs.

On this day though, I was sat on the sofa when I heard a fluttering and I got startled by a dove who had flown in and perched itself on a nearby chair and stared forwards towards my monitor! It then flew underneath a little table, where all my sockets and wiring is. It just sat their for ages, staring back at me, so I gave it some food. :) It stayed a little longer because I didn't chase it out or scare it away, I just watched it because it seemed comical.

Anyhow, this bird has definitely seen the Unreal flyby/intro screen. Maybe it is the only dove in the world which has!

The face of the dove in the 2nd picture is just hilarious I think.

PS. I apologise for not vacuuming that day, I didn't realise I might have visitors. :)

WOOF!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Is this the only dove that has seen the Unreal title screen?

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

haha - this is really cool! :-D
nice visitor!;-)
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

That's not something I'd classify as a dove, but a pigeon, however I know that in some countries they just don't make differences between the two. What would the difference be acording to you? Are pigeons only the non-wild doves/pigeons in England or something?

Either way I was hoping to see it in front of the unreal flyby instead. Too bad you didnt take picture of that!

EDIT: When I think of doves I think of streptopelia and similar. But apparently "pigeon" is called the "rock dove" in english, when referring to this. Not really familiar with all the namecalling(lol) of birds in english.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:26 am That's not something I'd classify as a dove, but a pigeon, however I know that in some countries they just don't make differences between the two.

Yes we use dove/pigeon interchangeably and yes, technically is not correct. Also a lot of people breed them (and cross-breeed them) in the UK. So most of this type you see here could be a mix of either. There a few pigeons/doves of "true blood" here.....

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:26 am Either way I was hoping to see it in front of the unreal flyby instead. Too bad you didnt take picture of that!

Absolutely agree that it is a shame! Sadly when a medium-sized bird flies into your house, the first thought is "get it out", not "take a picture" lol. It's also pretty scary as well. Luckily this one wasn't flapping around like a loon! Also, my phone wasn't conveniently located in my pocket at the time and by the time it and I had calmed a little, it had flown under my little table. Then (and only then) did I feel brave enough to fetch my phone and take a picture. It may happen again - you never know!

My internet conection is that poor here, that I perhaps should have kept the dove/pigeon and used it to transfer my data around the world, it would probably be faster..... :Drogar-BigGrin:

WOOF

x21
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by x21 »

IPoAC or IP over Avian Carriers :D
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Haha that's a good one x21 ! :)

WOOF!

Hyper
FOD
FOD

Post by Hyper »

The only known image of Bird2, taken just before it flew out of the world before the game was officially released.
Alter your reality...forever.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
[url]unreal://unreal.hypercoop.tk[/url]
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It's funny you say that Hyper. There used to be Fan1/Fan2 while Fan1 got cut but I am not aware of Bird2 ever being there but perhaps was planned/removed at some point, like october 1997? Could be since I believe bird1 was there in november but not yet september 1997.

I never got a "codedrop" from that month though.

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 pmHi, I see the bird is tagged or leg banded. It might be some registered animal. Do a lookup :) . I have about 20 of them at home, untagged, old mom makes soup out of them, I don't eat them. So lucky bird that flew in your house. BBG

Hi BBG! Yes I noticed that as well. Most larger birds are tagged here though on estate-land, by gamekeepers, whether they are domesticated (bred) or wild; swans, pheasant, quail, partridge etc. It could belong to an individual, I agree, but there is no way of knowing now.

BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 pmDo a lookup :) .

Ah BBG, I did not keep the bird! I waited patiently until it left! :)

Hehe - my grandparents used to eat them also! I tried it once (restaurant), but it seems a shame to kill a bird for so little meat.

PS. I have put you on a list of Unreal players as BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- and BBG-(DOG)-. Do you prefer to be known as BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- or BBG-(DOG)-. Let me know if you have a preference!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyper wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:07 amThe only known image of Bird2, taken just before it flew out of the world before the game was officially released.

Hehe - nice one Hyper! :cheesygrin:

evilgrins
FOD
FOD

Post by evilgrins »

That's a pigeon, not a dove.
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

evilgrins wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:01 amThat's a pigeon, not a dove.

Haha, please at least read the post fully!

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 am Yes we use dove/pigeon interchangeably and yes, technically is not correct. Also a lot of people breed them (and cross-breeed them) in the UK. So most of this type you see here could be a mix of either. There a few pigeons/doves of "true blood" here.....

It is for sure, very hard to say with certainty. See here:

Stock Dove

Cheers!

WOOF!

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

In czech we make a real distinction too and latin makes even more. Anything Columba is a pigeon in czech. If you look at wikipedia and go to cestina you will notice that this is just another Holub (Pigeon) for us, even though it is one of the wild ones.

And in the netherlands pigeons don't exist, it's all doves for them. Everything. Which actually did tick me off. :P

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Yeh it's crazy. All doves are pigeons, but not all pigeons are doves. Throw in cross-breeding and it's game-over!

EDIT / PS. Was it you that made a collection of insects sounds compiled into a UAX? I am sure it was you on OldUnreal, but I can't find it. Maybe I am putting in the wrong search terms. I am sure it had grasshoppers and such in. I would love to "take a listen" to that.

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yes, I posted that at some point. It's on page 4 (I can't copy paste links and I just woke up for a bit) of the general forum.

It's not only insects but I took them actually from a certain site where people are allowed to post sounds like that. It was also that at the time I was living at that house at countryside and since it was summer, and I am especially interested in bush-crickets and all that I made the package during that time. I thought it would be neat to put all that in maps instead of all those stock sounds.

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 am Yes, I posted that at some point. It's on page 4.........

Thank you, I found it now. Still on the creatures topic, I still don't know who created Animal_pack1, but thanks to whoever it was for the new birds in that package.

Run, point, shoot is fine, but sometimes the sheer ambience of Unreal wins; most often when the player is stood still, listening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.