MIA for an unknown time

Post articles here relating to real life problems, not problems related to unreal.
Forum rules
This is for real life posts. Remember our decency rules.
harddrive
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Re: MIA for an unknown time

Post by harddrive »

Very sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I am very sure you will overcome all of them and be back online with all you friends here at newbies. As for the name change I agree with spin. You will always be Kami to most of us. But if you want to be Leela than Leela it is. You are missed here a lot. Hope to see you very soon.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Sounds to me like you need to forget moving all this data around for the time being. You need a single one terra byte drive in your computer. I think what you really need to do at this point is to download the ultimate cache and get on line and have some fun. We have lots you can do without your editing and backups. Just get on line, have some fun and relax a bit. Life is full of ups and downs. The servers are running great and the TKR spawner needs some special tweaks by you. So if your arm is to bad, just meet me on Sickpups and I will shoot it off for ya.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

just a little update :)

Work is in good progress. My first drive, the old little 80 one is already complete empty. Took me a lot of DVD's to burn :lol: .
I stored as much as I could on the new 80er. Mainly all things I will need for the new system. As second drive I use my old 320er, which also was my second drive in the old PC. Also my old system was on it. Now I use it for the work to build DVD images and then I burn them on real DVD's.
Today I finally connected my old third drive, also a 320er which will be my new second drive. Oh my it still was very full, but I could transfer a lot of data over which will be burned on DVD's. I guess there are still about 20 DVD's to burn. Tomorrow it will be permanently installed and then I will empty this one to reformat it and making new partitions. Then I will use it to store the rest of my datas which are not ready for burning. Also that would be to much now, because it's still 150 - 200 GB.
I will install my 226 game-Unreal on tuesday or wednesday. It will be a clean install and I'll only add all necessary files to it. I already had a lot of crap in my old installation and I must get rid of it. The other installations will come later.
This was really a bad timing for a PC-crash. I totally wasn't prepared for it :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the health part

The main pain is gone. It's better since thursday, the swelling in the shoulder is better now. I guess, that was the reason for the strong pain. Ok, there is still some but I can live with it. The arm is not working right, I'm not able to lift it up. Now I have to wait what the examinations will bring.

Cya soon and take care :)

£éè£å
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

Karina, please stop worrying about computer and get that shoulder taken care of!

Although we all appreciate the work you have done for Newbie's, it would please many of us to know that you are taking good care of yourself.

Can't wait for the return of one of the finest coop -(DOG)-s, and best admins... ever, to be back. (learned a ton from you Karina)

Hoping to see you soon.

Spin

SHRED-{DOG}-

Post by SHRED-{DOG}- »

Hi Krazy hope to see you back soon an yes take care of your self girl we all miss you. I know you have not herd Krazy for a long time. Any way take care Shred. :evil:
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

WOOF WOOF

The work on the harddrives is finally done. That was a hard week with many, many hours of work. Today I removed my old second drive, and the other 320er is now permanently installed and nearly empty. LOL, I had to reformat both drives to get rid of the old Windows crap :lol: .
Also I wanted to alter the partitions a little.
Now I must configure the new system, it's still nearly fresh. The style and icons already done, but still much missing like codecs and other things.
Also there is a problem with firefox. When I try to watch videos on youtube for example Windows reboots. That's weird, because I can watch the same videos with IE8 without any problems. I still wasn't able to find the reason for it. Guess I will try a reinstall of firefox next and see what happens.
But first I will install Unreal now and be back in the game tomorrow when everything works fine.

Cya soon and

:lol: WOOF :lol: WOOF :lol: WOOF :lol:

£éè£å
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
<grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

bad update :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can't get Unreal to work. That's really a joke, but a very bad one. D3D nor OpenGL are working. I hate Radeon cards, they only meant, they only mean and they only will mean trouble.
Nvidia cards always were and always will be the best cards for playing.
I will try to get a similiar card to my old one. So now it's not possible to tell when I can be back in the game, but I will be back. Before I give up, hell is frozen.

Please keep me in mind, I need every energy I can get.

cya hopefully soon

£éè£å
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

What is number of video card?

Get on aim and let me help you with the problem via team view.
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

Hi £éè£å, seeing as I am probably the only Unreal player to use Radeons perhaps I can help. Ati cards do sometimes have issues with Unreal, but they do work. I have played on ATI since I upgraded from my Voodoo's, and every one of them has been able to play Unreal.

Which video card do you have, and which OS are you running? And what is the error you are getting?

Download the latest Catalyst driver from here
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/P ... verUpdates

If it is an older card then latest version is 10.2, if a newer card latest version is 11.2

Depending on your OS (XP I am guessing), you could try running the game in compatibility mode. To do this right click on the Unreal.exe and choose properties. There will be a compatibility tab there, that when checked will try to fool the game into thinking you are running a different OS. Try 98, 95, or even 2000, there is a chance this may fix your issue.
Oh, you might have to install Microsoft .NET framework in order to install Catalyst.
Read through this article Leela, it is an older article but has some good info and troubleshooting tips.
http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Hope this helps, if not post back and we will see if we can help get it working for you. Oh, and I hope the shoulder is feeling better.

SpiN
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Ok, the problem here is, that I didn't install Windows by myself this time, normally I always do it. The reason why Unreal didn't work and also Windows crashed with YouTube videos is really simple:
AGP-Speed was set to zero or better say disabled.
Now it nearly works fine. There is still one problem when I start Unreal with OpenGL setting. I get a very dark picture. I must first go to Advanced Options and select OpenGL again as Renderdevice. After that my normal settings are working. Hope to find a solution for it, because it's very annoying.

I haven't installed aim yet, or better there is not much installed at the moment. Still need to configure the system. It still will need some time before the new system works nearly like my old one. Also some things changed. All is up-to-date and I got latest drivers for everything.
Hehe, my old system really wasn't the latest one, but it worked good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Need to add some files to Unreal and will enter the game a little later.

cya there :)

WOOF WOOF
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

That's wonderful Kami......errrrrrrrrrrrr Leela (sorry, that is gonna take some getting used to). Thought it might be some kind of hidden setting somewhere.

Ah, the dreaded opengl ATI darkness bug :( . Ati is weak with opengl, dx will probably run a little better. However, if I recall correctly, the brightness is never remembered in opengl on Unreal (with ATI). Even though brightness is on maximum, it is still too dark. Once game is launched go to brightness slider, even if it is on full........move it down a bit.....then back to full, think this might fix your issue.

Looking forward to hunting Skaarj with you again :)

SpiN
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hehe, yup noticed that with the slider, but this crappy radeon still brings me down. Oh my, I swear I will get a nvidia again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, one problem solved and now got the next one. Downloading from server doesn't work. It starts and after 2% it's over. I use my old system folder at the moment so I have my original settings. Really can't say whats wrong. Just downloaded all supercache for coop and will try it again when cache is installed.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

This download problem happens with certain motherboard/cpu/video combinations. Reason unknown but a problem that has existed a long long time. If you strike the F7 or F6 key while downloading it will keep going,, You can also sometimes use running unreal in a window,, use F12. Different things happen at different times. It really gets bad on a Lan Game. Also running software render helps in some cases. You have to admit super Cache solves lots of problems. You gotta love it!
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

First of all I want to say, plz don't misunderstand me. This vidcard is of course a very good one and much better than my old 6800XT, but I had always nvidia cards and very rarely any problems. This was really a simple error in the settings. I have no idea why AGP speed was deactivated.
Unreal works fine now with D3D and OpenGL, even in software it runs good. Only problem are the ingame settings. When I start Unreal, for a very short moment these settings are used, but then it switches to the desktop settings (well, I think they are the desktop settings) and the picture turns very dark. To give you an idea of it, in the main menu I'm not able to see the font, only when something is highlighted.
That's quickly solved with the slider for brightness and I can live with it :D. Sometimes when I quit Unreal my desktop is to dark, but I made a profile for it which can be executed very quickly. Both is a little annoying, but it works :lol: .

For the vidcard here are the datas:

XFX HD 4650 600M 1GB DDR2

Driver-Package-Version.................8.62-090505a-080607E-ATI
Catalyst™-Version........................8.62 RC1
Provider...................................ATI Technologies Inc.
2D-Driver-Version........................6.14.10.6962

2D-Driver-path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{27E0BA15-38B2-419B-9C8B-B88D26BCF736}/0000

Direct3D-Version..........................6.14.10.0671
OpenGL-Version...........................6.14.10.8674
Catalyst™ Control Center-Version.......2009.0505.2224.38401
AIW/VIVO WDM-Driver-Version.........6.14.10.6238
AIW/VIVO WDM-SP-Driver-Version.....6.14.10.6238

Also I installed AtiCatalyst10.11HydravisionRadeonHD

because there were no settings for virtual desktops. With my old card I had nView which really worked good. I miss the options in the context menu, but it works. To move applications between several desktops I first need to open the Catalyst Control Center. Former I just could right-click on a window and move it with one click.
I'm not sure at the moment, but I think those are not the very latest drivers for the card, but when I enter my specifications on the ATI homepage I also get these drivers as a suggestion. Think newer ones wouldn't make much sense, because I don't run any newer games. I have WinXP with SP3 and DirectX9.0C. And before you ask, I will not go higher than 9.0C :lol: .

My 226 game Unreal is nearly up-to-date. Hehe, of course super Cache is a fine thing and I already used it for the MM and KOTH servers, but for Coop it's quite useless for me. Only with cache files I cannot open any map in editor, it's not using the cache-folder. Also with all files installed I can notice changes and mismatches at once and keep all files at the latest version.
But yes, for players super Cache is really the best choice and I can only advise it ;) :D.
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

In regards to newest drivers, I believe drivers for AGP cards are different than the regular drivers, and are not so easy to find. I think they are usually called agp hotfix driver.....which is dumb, because they also call other drivers hotfix :evil:

I usually recommend latest drivers, and I think newest drivers perform a llittle better in opengl.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
On this link.....in list on right hand side........you will find link for agp hotfix driver latest release. But please don't blame me if it messes up your system. It is ATI :P
Make sure to pick All Radeon HD Series AGP as it seems they are different from the pcie drivers.For ATI drivers, they release a new version each and every month.

Congrats on the new card. To see how it compares to your old card, or others.....view this chart.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 676-7.html

Oh, it's very nice to have you back :D