Taking time off too

Post articles here relating to real life problems, not problems related to unreal.
Forum rules
This is for real life posts. Remember our decency rules.
Kelly
FOD
FOD

Taking time off too

Post by Kelly »

I already posted about this at OU and UT99.org so I'm going to skip the big explanation. The TL/DR is you can google 'cachexia' if you want to understand. I may or may not come back after the summer but my guess is likely not to be honest. This is turning into a real dog fight (cough cough) and it's taking more and more of my time to deal with properly.

Anyway I've arranged with Carbon to backup literally everything I have: source code/unfinished work/private files...everything. This is a just in case move as I don't want the community to lose anything if life takes a turn for me. He is also taking an as-of-today image of both of my servers and he will be free to share those if someone wants to run a mirror server. I'm transferring the final bit to him right now and that will be done.

I posted here because I wanted to know if anyone wanted to copy my Unreal servers. They are ready to go, you can literally add your own admin passwords and they will both fire up and be playable. I have done nothing to them other than scrub the admin passwords. Both servers are JGrass and run a ton of custom content but I submitted the source code to Carbon so you are free to make any changes you like.

Server one is a more restrained coop experience with normal weapons and double player health. The exploration tools are not awarded to the player by default but they are available to be summoned if you want to allow that. Server two is all MH maps and turned up to crazy. You get everything to play with and cheats are enabled by default. I've tested all the maps and everything loads and works. I turned the servers back on for the weekend and you are welcome to go take a look. They are listed in the coop tab, you'll find them.

If you want to grab a copy just email me and I'll send you a link to the Sync folder. This will transfer the server folder to you and you can drag/drop it and immediately start using it to run your own server. I have the next week off and I'll gladly meet you in TS if you want me to walk you through how to change things/personalize the server. To be clear: this will be your server, you can remove/change/alter ANYTHING you want. I just would be glad my work continued forward with someone no matter the form.

OK, this got too long. Sorry guys. I'll be around.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Taking time off too

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

yes, kelly, i learned from this on OU forum already :(
i really wish you all the best to come through this life-threatening situation!!!

regarding your servers: yes, i would like to keep your servers' backups here.

all the best wishes my friend and do all you can do to be back after summer!
WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Kelly
FOD
FOD

Post by Kelly »

I PM'ed you the Sync information. I made the entire thing available to you to archive if you want to grab it. I can adjust it to just the servers if you only want those. By 'entire thing' I mean all my source code, unfinished work, private files, etc. No sense in this stuff sitting for the summer on a HDD gathering dust with the potential of being lost to time.

As I said in the PM you are welcome to share anything I send you, there are no restrictions or demands. Any unfinished modding can be taken over by whomever would want to mess with it. I worked on a ton of ideas that never saw release and it's all in there (warts and all). I hope it brings joy to someone.

I'll be around if anyone has questions about any files. Email me, whatever. I'll get back to you.
mrc333777
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by mrc333777 »

my prayers are with you my friend
Kelly
FOD
FOD

Post by Kelly »

Not sure if it matters to you guys or not but I wrote a series of what I called "The Black Tutorials" over at ut99.org over the last few days. In it I outlined some of the things developers never talk about and some things your server admins are always on guard to prevent from hurting you. In the files I uploaded to Strategy there were mods that didn't have information and I used these tutorials to outline what they do and how to use them. The tuts were:

- How to (properly) strip your code and the tools to do it
- How to lock your map to your server or to you locally so no one else can run it if you don't want them to
- Unreal Engine DRM is certainly possible. I'll show you how though I'm not going to share my mod on this one.
- Aimbot detection (totally server-side) and the code to use with it
- How to download and save a joining player's keybinds to check them for cheats
- How to add cheats to maps you make that will let you do anything with a simple password

If you are a developer it's worth the time to read. As a community we never really discuss these issues and so much misinformation is out there. I started some pretty open discussions and hopefully that will carry on. One thing you might find interesting is that I mentioned Zombie's coop mod in the obfuscation tutorial and a couple of the guys are getting together to decrypt it. Is this something the community would like? It looks like you'll get a compilable source before it's over. Wonder how many servers will run the unencrypted version they can change. That'll be interesting.

I'll be logging out here so if you need me just drop me an email. Good luck guys :)