Request for help on MM Servers to all MM Admins

Posts related to MM 850 and MM INF servers
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Request for help on MM Servers to all MM Admins

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I need a little help with MM. I run a testserver to find out how to solve problems in maps. Just a few minutes ago I found in one map monsters in the SkyBox. This never happened before, I mean I never saw in any map monsters spawning in SkyBoxes.
I thought the Spawner checks for SkyZoneInfos, the only way I can imagine to prevent that this happen.
I think you can see the problem here. Players can never reach them.
So when admins are on the servers, could you check SkyBoxes from time to time by ghosting to it. I would do it myself, but I'm no admin. Think it's important to find out the reason for it.

Should you find a map where this happens, could you please post the mapname here. I would like to compare these maps and hopefully find the reason and a solution for it.

The map on my testserver was DMVeltor by Sidney "Clawfist" Rauchberger
I don't know if it's also on the Newbies Servers.
Gort-{DOG}-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Re: Request for help on MM Servers to all MM Admins

Post by Gort-{DOG}- »

I'll keep an eye out Leela
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

NaliPente is one of the next maps I will fix, because the movers need work.
So called building boxes are not a problem as long as they contain no actors which could be used by the spawner. Of course there are several maps with such boxes where light actors are in these boxes. That can easy be fixed by deleting these actors.

SkyBoxes are a special problem because there are nearly always lights in them. Hehe, of course it's not possible to simply delete them, would give a very dark sky :lol:
A common feature of all SkyBoxes is the SkyZoneInfo. Without them they would not work and all surfaces set to FakeBackdrop would show their textures instead of the sky.
I played MM so many times now and really never saw monsters in a SkyBox. That's why I was absolutly sure, that the spawner checks for these ZoneInfos.
Imagine you are in a map with a really nice looking sky and suddenly there are some giant Flies flying around or a XXXXXL Titan is looking down to you. Sure, that would really look funny :lol:, but you could never get them.
The map I mentioned, DMVeltor is a really cool MM map, works nearly perfect for MM. And "Clawfist" is a real good and experienced mapper. The maps of him I already saw and played are nearly straight. I played the map several times now and never noticed any problems. You even don't need to search for the monsters, they are already waiting for you to respawn :lol:.
Last time all went well for about 10 minutes, but suddenly there were no more monsters in the playing-area. The info showed enough load so I ghosted outside of the map and found them in the SkyBox. I really don't know how this could happen. There is nothing unusual in this map.

Ok there is a way to fix it, but that would not solve the problem. More important is to find out why this happens. If there are other maps with the same problem I could compare them.
When the monster info differs from the amount you find in the map, they must be somewhere else and there are only two possible places, a building box or a SkyBox.
As normal player I can't ghost, that's why I need the help of admins here.
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

I''ll keep an eye out for these maps.
I used to take those maps out of rotation.
--= Keep Running =--
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

News:
I made several tests now and found some things out.

First, it's absolutly clear now, that the Spawner in MM doesn't check for SkyZoneInfos. It means, that monsters can also be spawned in a SkyBox.

Second, the explanation why players never see monsters in the background is really simple: online they just can't see them from inside the map. That works only in SinglePlayer.

Third, I can't prevent the spawn, but there is a really simple way to kill them at once. This way there won't be any monsters in the SkyBox. Also there won't be any spawned items like belts or health.