Monster spawner

Posts related to JACKALS COOP, HARDCORPS COOP, XPERIENCE COOP and ADVANCED COOP servers
Oldsparky

Monster spawner

Post by Oldsparky »

I have set up the test server with monster spawn, and running the regular server as normal. We can watch the traffic and see which is the server players prefer. TKR has done great job on this and improvements are still coming faster than we can update the server. Spinach and the regular group of COOP players have helped greatly in the development of this mod.

POST YOUR COMMENTS ON THE MONSTER SPAWN HERE. LIKES DISLIKES.
Master_Unreal

Re: Monster spawner

Post by Master_Unreal »

Something me and Spinach were discussing yesterday, sometimes the spawner can ruin the atmosphere of some maps (Haros - Dark Passage) we we're thinking that we could have certain lists of monsters to use with certain maps. Of course this will take some time to really shape up, but this way the atmosphere of the maps can be kept, and the more open or the crappy maps we can fill up with monsters

Again, it could take time to really get it all in order, but this could be something to think about

Also, DoomPawns :)
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

Sorry double posted :P Please delete.
Last edited by SpiNacH on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

TomKatRebel did a great job creating this tool for us to use. It can be adjusted in an overwhelming number of ways. I guess the question that remains is how do we use it?

I have been playing on the coop for quite a long time. I was first attracted here because Jackal's ran the best maps that there were for coop. Along with the best people (and still does :)) . Over time, it would seem the coop ended up running almost every map ever made. This is quite some feat and currently the coop is running about 400 maps.

While running so many awesome maps, we also run many maps I think are a little lacking. Guess it is a case of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

For myself, I do not wish the coop to turn into MM on the coop maps. Newbie's has two of those already and I dont really think we need another one. Many maps are not suited for this. This is not to say we cannot make the coop even better.

I would like to see the good maps left reasonably alone (perhaps just some exta boss spawns.And on the weaker maps we can go for being much more agressive with the spawner.

For some of us that play Unreal, it is our virtual world to escape to. It has atmosphere, an atmospehre that the spawner can harm (no offense TKR). I would prefer to have the spawner used in a more subtle manner than it is currently set at.
I would like to see the spawner used to enhance, not overwhelm.

The opinions expressed are entirely my own, and do not necessarily express those of management :P

TKR has made it so lots of variables can be adjusted.....so tons of things are possible. Individual settings can be set per map (to a degree). This is no small task, and suggestions would surely be appreciated.

When the author of this mod was asked what settings he would like to see used......He replied...."the ones that make the players happy".

Please post your own opinions as to how we can use this to make the coop even better.
harddrive
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by harddrive »

I have played on the test map several times and so far I like what I see. Although sometimes there is so many monsters that you can't get anywhere if you happen to be by yourself or just a couple of players. I has made some of the boring maps a lot more challenging. :D :D :D :D I agree with mu and spin that some of the maps don't need anymore monsters. HA!!!! got ya. Some maps just need a few more monsters. I like it. Number of added monsters should depend on the number of players at the time. If that is possible. I wish I was smart enough to do something like this but I'm not. So every body who is responsible for the spawner, I commend you and keep up the good work. HEHEHEHE And a WOOF WOOF TOO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Also try to keep titans out of elevator shafts!!!!
jackal-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by jackal-(DOG)- »

First of all I like to thank TKR for the monster spawn. It a great tool for low monster maps and I like it very much. But we need to strive to keep the coop originality with the server so it won’t be like others with all them mods. I think it a good idea to use this tool for maps that need a little boost. You never know where they may spawn witch is a good thing for those who know where every monster is in the map. And again thank you TKR (Mike)
The Jackal
:mrgreen:
jàçká£-(DOG)-
Dieatls
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Dieatls »

Did see this yesterday in DamnCastle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Some thoughts about the Monster Spawner

This is a very powerful tool for the Coop server and one of the most complex I've ever seen.
It's an incredible work TKR did with it.
Like all good things, used in the right way it can be a blessing. But of course it can also be used in a wrong way, which could affect the server in a negative way.

Newbies Coop was always balanced for experienced and for new players. The Spawner has a great impact on this balance. When using the Spawner, we should try to keep the balance intact, because it's this balance which makes Newbies Coop different from other Coop servers.

The use and tweaking of the Spawner is not only a one man job. And yes, it is alot of work, which requires help from every Admin.

First, everyone using it, should understand how it is working and be familiar with all its possible settings.

Second, when using the Spawner for maps, everyone should know the maps and the already existing monsters in these maps. Also keep in mind how difficult a map is for which you adjust and activate the Spawner. An already very difficult map can become incredibly insane for new and even experienced Players, when the Spawner is used with wrong settings on such maps.

Third, global settings are very neat, but the Spawner offers much more possibilities. Also make use of the individual settings for each map. This will help to keep a good balance.

Because of the online character of the editor and the fact, that the server needs to be restarted for changes, there should be a topic for the Spawner in the Admin section. The Spawner should be updated at regular intervals.
The topic should be used for informations about- and for ideas for settings. Watch how the changes work on the server and post your experiences or problems you notice. All this will help to make the Spawner work better and better. Also all Admins should have access to this topic and visit it frequently to be up-to-date.
I will update the maplist because some maps missing. When it's ready, I will post it. Everyone should get the list to have an overview of all maps running on the server.

We have some good tools and we should use them the best way possible.

Well, just my 2 Cents about it. :lol:

PS: Is it possible to reduce the size of posted pictures so they cannot affect the text? Sometimes it's a real pain to read comments. I would need a XXXXXXL monitor to have the whole text on one screen.
For example take a look at this topic from MU, there are no problems with posted pictures.

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 7373732/20

This PHPBB is doing it since 2000 now if I'm right. Why can't they make forums more handy. They should have enough experience now after 11 years. Other companies have no problems with it.
Maybe the line size for posted text could be reduced. Think that would keep posted comments better readable.