Coop Contest 2011

Posts related to JACKALS COOP, HARDCORPS COOP, XPERIENCE COOP and ADVANCED COOP servers
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Coop Contest 2011

Post by SpiNacH »

"Pure Coop Is Back Up so you can practice for Contest. Need to set the rules and goals. Let us hear from you in the forum or there will be no contest."

Coop scoring in a contest is very difficult. I still like the idea of kills minus deaths. However, one factor that was not taken into consideration last year was time. Given unlimited time, I could probably kill every last monster without too many deaths. However, this would be tedious and not much fun. So I propose that time be a factor.

Not sure of what values would be fair, but something like fastest team on a map gets +20 points. Might balance it so teams that push hard are rewarded, instead of everyone hiding trying not to get killed. Teams would have to decide if its worth it to play agressive or conservative. And no team would know if they got the bonus until final tally. Would turn into a decision of hunt down all monsters for points or hope to be quickest time for bonus.-----just an idea.

I also agree with some others that contest was just too long. Hard for players to schedule and too long to stay razor sharp for. I would propose maybe just 3 maps. Teams that want to play to kill every last monster would have to weigh the benefits of the time bonus I mentioned.

Just a few ideas from ol' Spin, could some of you others please chime in, as I think the coop contest idea is sweet.
Pete
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Re: Coop Contest 2011

Post by Pete »

Hello all,

Great ideas both of you guys. Was last night talking to Spin and Shred on server about scoring system. I too think kills minus deaths is the only way, but I personally would reward staying alive more. Imo players death would minus maybe 5 kills or some other amount but more than 1. It would also encourage to kill more as you are bound to get killed anyways and it would encourage players to find belts and armours and stuff that are a part of the game anyway. Again, just my opinion.

As for timefactor, I too think time should be taken into account. Not clear to me yet, but was thinking something like there would be timelimit, ie maximum time and the less time consumed more points scored... idk refine the idea if you see fit pls :D :D :D

When we get the scoringsystem sorted, I suggest we set up a webpage just for keeping score if its possible (I know one tigerman amongst our ranks who has the means and resourses to do it). That way it would not reguire login in to board to check scores.

BBG, that would be awsome mod for contest server :D The more game does automatically, less room for human errors. And why not do it if its possible. Only contest maps in rotation would require less admin work also :) Great!

EDIT: Lol, that pod idea in your snippet is great. Maybe a pod for all team members and when last player is in pod time would stop. That way its fair and all team members count.
Pete-Fin-(DOG)-
SusannaP
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by SusannaP »

Hi everyone! ;)

Spinach's idea how to count scores is clear and good. Kills minus deaths and good time give bonus points if it is under limit. I agree what Pete said that 1 death have to be more minus than 1 example minus 10 points.
We need to tested maps and make some time lines for bonus scores. Maybe we need some maximum time for team and solo part...

BBG, Your coop end is Great! Everyone have to be at end and map is done after that. Is it possible added server :?: Hope so 8) 8) 8)

TKR promised us to help and he make web page for scores. What it included and who updated it is next question or do we it for team? Every admin who follows content send scores etc. TKR and he added them to web page. I think he needs a few days to made it.

Please, tell us your ideas... how contest do... solo part? team part (how many players?), should we count solo and team scores together? Maybe not, because some players probably want participate only solo part. What maps would be good for solo and team...

Your friend Susanna
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Maybe same maps as last year plus a couple?
Single and team selected from individual scores I would suggest so you can balance skilled with unskilled.
You don't have to be good at Unreal to take part that way.
BotBot
FOD
FOD

Post by BotBot »

may be you think over a timelimit per map.

you must hurry up to reach the end, or you get not the mapend bonus

my 0,02€

BotBot [trying to spare the time to give you a revenge]
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

I would gladly help with merging maps and such, but i'm currently working on another project here that I have to get done asap (Not school, no. Unreal related)

I'm thinking of maybe of doing an "Unreal Tournament" style of play, where you start solo (Qualifiers, except here this could help balance out the teams and such) Play through with your team, and after each is done, take the MVP from each team and make them go solo again, where their score adds to the total team count.

So, to break it down

First Round: Qualifiers (Basically determines what team you will be placed in, should be determined by judges/admins/whoever is doing such)

Second Round: Team Play (Teams should get more points based on a system of the following: Amount of Kills, Amount of Deaths, and as spin said, Time used to complete the map. Points could be determined by this? (Kills + Deaths + Seconds/3))

Third Round: Finals (Whoever gets the most kills and least deaths should be considered MVP, and they will represent the team in the final round. Same scoring system as above, those points get added to the total point count for your team)

Just my 5 cents (more towards a dollar or so Lol) but I feel that this way could work well and get players in each team to not just achieve winning for the team, but a spot in the final round. What do you guys think about this?
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Don't do that lol, first load the map you wanna merge (either one, doesn't matter) Export it to .t3d, then open the other map and import it to the current level, since you opened the other map before, all the resources used there will be loaded for you.

It's essentially the same thing, but i find exporting it to be more efficient
TomKatRebel

Post by TomKatRebel »

I disagree here, exporting large maps to t3d causes mass brush errors, it was only designed for making small models. BBG I would continue the way you was, just make sure you load all required texture and sound packages before pasting.
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

I know what you mean Lol, I experimented a bit and merged my entire episode 1 into one map....................under 227g/h, I could see where in 225 that might screw up though, so yeah he's right
TomKatRebel

Post by TomKatRebel »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just duplicate and rename the required maps and then edit the end teleporters? Or even paste each map into a different section and connect via teleporters. Either option would seem like a lot less effort for you.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

You cannot edit standard maps. They are download protected and will cause conflicts if deleted.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

If you choose standard maps for the contest, don't make any changes to them. They must stay in their original shape like everyone know them. The only variation in the standard maps is the OddsOfAppearing setting. This could be fixed by a temporary mutator.

But for the case, you really want to alter the standard maps for the contest give them new filenames. Also you must unprotect them first, this can easy be done with a hexeditor.

If you play around with the URL's, be sure to do it right.

Ruins#digbye?peer

for example sounds nice, but wouldn't work.
"digbye" is the Tag of the Start-Teleporter in Passage, so make sure to use the right Tags.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

What happened to admin support for contest. Bad showing.
BotBot
FOD
FOD

Post by BotBot »

first: my best wishes to the winner and all followers :D

second: my excuse for my absence. much work, familydays at the contest weekend and at last much packet losses with my new connection. :oops:

third: my promise to work all trouble down and to come bach to hunt with the DOGs :twisted:

BotBot