Game-Settings changed on JACKALS COOP Server

Posts related to JACKALS COOP, HARDCORPS COOP, XPERIENCE COOP and ADVANCED COOP servers
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Game-Settings changed on JACKALS COOP Server

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

the respawner mutator "LameRespawnerSE" has been removed from the server. gameplay is more classic now - when dead you will be set back to start, just as in the good old times - so, try not to die too often! :)
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Nikola-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Game-Settings changed on JACKALS COOP Server

Post by Nikola-(DOG)- »

I don´t mind. Maybe this will raise the gaming spirit :)
UNREAL
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote:Wonder if a mod can be done to place portal triggers without rebuilding the map?
we are lucky ;)
mk already implemented a feature like this in the gametype UGoldMP - view the admin's section, "Admin Commands"

Code: Select all

SaveSpot SpotName
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

It's not absolutely necessary that a teleporter is based on a geometric solution like in SkaarjTower for example. Of course for a new map I would prefer it, because it gives you more room for styling.
In the past I used some effects which were spawned as soon as the teleporters were activated.
Meanwhile I found another solution which is more flexible, because no more external effects are used and I also can switch them on and off as needed.
-(bob)-
FOD
FOD

Post by -(bob)- »

If you were still using jcoopz you could abuse forced jzplayerstarts to create a checkpoint system-
Have a serverside trigger actor that summons a jzplayerstart when touched.
Multiple triggers could be placed in a single map- when one is touched it deletes all others using "killall jzplayerstart", spawns a new playerstart and destroys itself so it cant be retriggered.
This trigger actor could be placed as needed via a command that saves the checkpoint location onto the server, and dynamicly loads them at map start.
care should be taken to add spawns only where people can backtrack if they wanted to.
Any time somone dies/rejoins they spawn at the newstart location.

I know this solution is not usable for you , i just thought i would mention it, because its the first this that came into my head.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Masterkent wrote:Saved spots can be used by admins only
sorry, my mistake! i misunderstood the use.
Masterkent wrote:If you are interested, let me know.
thank you for your offer! by now i'd say save your time for stuff you consider more important. admins will control the gameplay by use of ut_teleporter on jackals coop.
-(bob)- wrote:I know this solution is not usable for you , i just thought i would mention it, because its the first this that came into my head.
thank you bob, for joining the discussion! ;) i know you have many good tricks in your repertory, hehe! :)
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

the reactions i received by now were not at all that positive. yet i will keep the settings so far.
as an alternative for players who are frustrated by the current settings on "jackals coop", i changed the standard server on our "MULTIGAMESERVER" to "Newbies Coop" - which is basically the same as jackals coop - yet on this server the respawner is featured as well as the votinghandler, so players are able to switch maps on their own!
players are not forced to play this or the other servers - they shall have the choice to play on the server they prefer.

....my personal favorite so far is the very challenging server "XPerience Coop"! ;) WOOF!
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

the gameplay-settings on "JACKALS COOP" have been restored. the project "nostalgica" has ended! the coop players shall unite on our mainserver "JACKALS COOP" again! WOOF!
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

i intended to grant more democracy as it was used in past, but it turned out that it won't work and that sparky's decision was right!
i will make final decisions and who doesn't agree is free to play elsewhere. the experiments on jackals coop are done! and the discussion about changes has ended as well. we serve 3 different coop-servers amongst various unreal gameservers. jackals coop is our mainserver and it will stay as it has been built up and developed by many people for many years!
-(bob)-
FOD
FOD

Post by -(bob)- »

Masterkent wrote: Even if it still has its ridiculous "feature" to make players telefrag pawns
Telefragging pawns / players was never intentional or a "feature" , I think it basicly looped tho every saved location intill you got there, Incase the last location was blocked . if the location was currently blocked the call to setlocation caused a telefrag that's the way setlocation works. Could i have checked if someone was standing there ? probably. could i make the players so it won't collide so it can't telefrag? i probably tried at some point.

There was so many versions of the mod i made years ago i made for experimenting , Such as lives , Or chances to spawn where you died before you had to start at the beginning again. i even created a system at one point that mappers could place specific zone info / or actors into zones in a map you didnt want players to ever spawn in(non pain/non water zone will still prevent spawns inside currently ) , such as traps or bsp hole areas, for bsp holes i setup a pawn listener for 225 at one point that watched for crater messages and restarted the player after 3 "left a small crater" messages send by the owner.For that reason Many of the variables in the old ini files of samspawn you mention may not do actually anything anymore.

As per the discussion to what mod is better i ended up using lamerespawns personally on my server for the last months. I think lamerespawns is generally a more "elegant" solution for 227 users. It could use some more options, like serverside commands etc for players to choose/address the mod. but that's author's preference .

I know why LR all started - One or 2 maps with odd shallow lava zones would allow spawns in ssspawn. I never tested those again in 225 , but i suspect that later 227 builds broke pain region checks in rare cases. Everyone made a new system instead of looking into a potential bug.
You cant be taking damages in a pain zone and fail both foot , head and pain zone checks, unless something is broken.
I still dont know why rotations get randomly flipped for no reason.It saves rotation based on player direction and recovers that rotoation at respawn . probably another bug unrelated to the mod.

So anyway now i got that all out of my head for no reason. Other than for fun , or just to support my work. You should probably just use lamerespawns at this point if your running 227. Since lsSE have per level settings , i wont bother taking the time to fix the bugs with sspawn i was asked to unless its very desired , btw Thanks for using my implementation of a concept to start with intill something better came along. ill always think of it as "I started the trend in unreal coop"
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

thank you for the explanation, bob! thanks also for your support!
-(bob)-
FOD
FOD

Post by -(bob)- »

Cant believe i mangled that logic, I know it was a mess but didn't realize i mangled it like that.Thanks for your advise about the issues .I think i will take your recomendations and fix it. Why didnt you mention these issues to me when you found them long ago?