Recommendation for new maps to add to coop rotation

Posts related to JACKALS COOP, HARDCORPS COOP, XPERIENCE COOP and ADVANCED COOP servers
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Recommendation for new maps to add to coop rotation

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:38 am  
(thanks strategy-(DOG)- for the German Hex-editor, I learned some new German with this!)
oh, sorry! i forgot to mention that you can change the language:
chose the tab "Optionen" > "Einstellungen". a new window opens, there click on the folder-icon "Sprache" and switch the menue "Sprachpaket" to English. close the app and start it again.

:)
hexedit602.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

Yep, some players felt a bit naked without weapons in AncientWorld. :mrgreen:
I can't recall a crash problem with the end in this map. Well, more than 10 years have passed since I played Zora's maps the last time.
My first thought on this is a similar problem which also occured in the cat-map (sorry, can't remember the full name of that map right now), but it seems to differ a bit from the problem you described here.

Currently I'm a bit limited with the loss of my "home" system. Full testing like in the past is not possible right now. Also I've a weird problem to get a fully working client with which I could connect to the servers. For some reason not all servers are shown in the AllServers list.
My first thought was a Firewall or Antivir problem, but if that would be the case, then I wouldn't see any servers in the list at all.
From the Newbies servers I can only see 3 or 4, but the rest are not shown, no matter what I try.

The XperienceCoop server is in the list, so I should be able to connect to that server. But I must download every file needed for that server. And I need someone to play the map with, preferably someone who knows the map and end it. If my client should crash then, I can get a logfile of it. Maybe that gives a hint to the problem.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

£éè£å-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:59 am Also I've a weird problem to get a fully working client with which I could connect to the servers. For some reason not all servers are shown in the AllServers list.
My first thought was a Firewall or Antivir problem, but if that would be the case, then I wouldn't see any servers in the list at all.
From the Newbies servers I can only see 3 or 4, but the rest are not shown, no matter what I try.
this is really strange! and yes, i agree, if firewall or an antivirus-software would interfere, all servers would be blocked.
all our gameservers are configured the same regarding masterserver-queries, so it would not make any sense that only some of them appear, as currently 10 newbiesplayground-servers are online. i know that master.oldunreal.com ist down for some time now, but that shouldn't matter...

this is the current serverlist that you should see...
img_001.jpg
did you try the most recent patch already (j41)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I've a basic 227i client here and also my old 227j_17 one. I can only see these 5 Newbies servers:

ENHANCED TEAM-DeathMatch
TESTSERVER
XPERIENCE COOP
ADVANCED COOP
TRIAL & CHALLENGE Server

At least the 227i client should show all servers.
After that I recreated my 227j_19 client and that one shows all servers.
A comparision between j_17 and j_19 shows, that in j_17 still indexed arrays were used for the server browsers. In j_19 dynamic arrays are in use. Maybe that has something to do with the problem, although I can't imagine it.

The latest version I could find in my backup is 227j_35, but the most recent client I have is still 227j_23. If j_41 is the latest one, I will build a new client with it.
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Hi Leela,

Well that is a very unusual situation you have with the server list. It seems so strange that you can see some of them but not all. I guess we would expect that somone could either see all or none of the servers so that one has me puzzled. :P
I hope you can see all servers with J_41. :)

£éè£å-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:59 am The XperienceCoop server is in the list, so I should be able to connect to that server. But I must download every file needed for that server. And I need someone to play the map with, preferably someone who knows the map and end it. If my client should crash then, I can get a logfile of it. Maybe that gives a hint to the problem.

Well it would be great to play this map with you or the entire series! I personally would like to do that for sure. This week I can play on Friday after 8pm or at most times over the weekend. So I will lurk on the Xperience server on Friday evening and during the weekend. Missionary also knows this/these maps very well also, as does André and a few others. If you end up playing this map with Missionary, please don't forget to charge him for the little boat ride across the lake to the Nali settlement. I have been charging him 1000 euros for this little boat ride so far although now he probably deserves a discount by now, so maybe only 849 euros this time. :cheesygrin:

Look forward to seeing you at some point and I hope your Unreal install/client starts to behave itself very soon!

EDIT:

strategy-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:40 am oh, sorry! i forgot to mention that you can change the language:

Well I chose not to change the language because I was happy to learn some new words. It was nice to use an interface in a another language.

WooF!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:24 pm Well I chose not to change the language because I was happy to learn some new words. It was nice to use an interface in a another language.
ok, i understand! ;)
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

£éè£å-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:55 pm I've a basic 227i client here and also my old 227j_17 one. I can only see these 5 Newbies servers:

ENHANCED TEAM-DeathMatch
TESTSERVER
XPERIENCE COOP
ADVANCED COOP
TRIAL & CHALLENGE Server

At least the 227i client should show all servers.
After that I recreated my 227j_19 client and that one shows all servers.
A comparision between j_17 and j_19 shows, that in j_17 still indexed arrays were used for the server browsers. In j_19 dynamic arrays are in use. Maybe that has something to do with the problem, although I can't imagine it.

The latest version I could find in my backup is 227j_35, but the most recent client I have is still 227j_23. If j_41 is the latest one, I will build a new client with it.
i just checked the unreal-server browser using a 227i client. the problem Leela mentioned seems to affect ALL 227i clients!! me too can only see a few servers. server-side i can't figure the problem, since the masterserver-query is configured the same on e.g. xperience coop and jackals coop - but jackals coop doesn't show up. i wonder if this issue is related to the masterserver-inaccessibilty of master.oldununreal.com that i noticed for a while. usually all other masterservers (including master.newbiesplayground.net) should announce all servers, even if other masterservers are offline....
i'll inform Smirftsch about this problem...

img_001.jpg
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I found the problem by accident now. Since I'm currently on a Win 7 system, I've to deal with it as good as I can til I have a running XP system again. When I tried to start Ued 1.0 this morning I got an error message: missing or invalid msvbvm50.dll
This one is no longer part of Windows 7, so I downloaded and installed it. But I'm still not able to start Ued 1.0, because I still get an error message.
But now all servers are shown again in my 227J_17 installation and probably also in the 227i client. I had to deinstall that one this morning and can't test it right now.

It seems the problem occurs, because the Visual Basic 5.0 run-time is no longer part of higher versions of Windows and older clients need it to show all servers.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

£éè£å-(DOG)- wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:46 am But now all servers are shown again in my 227J_17 installation and probably also in the 227i client. I had to deinstall that one this morning and can't test it right now.

It seems the problem occurs, because the Visual Basic 5.0 run-time is no longer part of higher versions of Windows and older clients need it to show all servers.
when i talked to smirftsch this morning, he forwarded the master.oldunreal.com masterserver to a working masterserver and all servers got addressed again. must have been related to that as i did not change anything on my client but 227i shows all servers again.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Oh, then these two things happened the same time, which made me believe, that it could have something to do with the VB run-time component. Didn't know, that the oldunreal masterserver is online again. Only saw, that the browser worked again after installing VB 5.0. :lol:
Well, that's good news then ;)
And besides that, I also was able to fix my problem with Ued1. Without it I feel a bit naked and homeless. :Drogar-BigGrin:
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi VooDoo :)

I dug up the Zora maps from the depths of my backups and added them to my testserver for some testing with ZM4AncientWorld. I have two questions:

1) Did other players realy crash or were they simply disconnected from the server?

2) Did this realy only happen when the endteleporter on the big rock was touched, or before it when a player jumped down in this rotating "hell" thing?
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Hi £éè£å!

£éè£å-(DOG)- wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:39 am 1) Did other players realy crash or were they simply disconnected from the server?
Well the game just exited for me. For example when Missionary touched the end and I vote-ended from somewhere else (not on the rock basically), I would exit the game. Maybe my terminology wasn't great before, I see exiting the game as a crash, I guess.

£éè£å-(DOG)- wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:39 am 2) Did this realy only happen when the endteleporter on the big rock was touched, or before it when a player jumped down in this rotating "hell" thing?

It happens after the end teleporter is touched on the rock. Interestingly, I played this with Missionary fairly recently and when we both dropped down to the "hell" thing and therefore we both made it to the rock, the game did not "crash" for either for us, which was great! It seems like 1 person touching the "hell" thing and others not dropping down to it causes the exiting for them, let's say they voteend from somewhere else in the map for example.

Basically whoever does not drop down to the "hell" thing seems to "crash/exit" the game.

This needs more testing with more than 2 in the game, I think.

WooF!

EDIT: It could be entertaining if there were 4 or more players trying to all land down there! I think at least one player would bounce off. :)

£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Edit:
Some news.
I found the reason for the problem and a possible fix for it.
The original custom NavigationPoint which is used to transport the player was mainly made for Singleplayer game.
It's possible to prevent, that players disconnect from the server, but that still wouldn't be a good solution here.
The custom actor uses an offset for transporting the player, not the direct destination. All players elswhere in the map would notice a strange behavior.
Also the transport works only one time. As soon as a player jumps down in the bomb the whole end sequence is started. At this point the player who jumped down is not inside the map. During the end sequence everything inside the map is killed: Nalis, Cows, Monsters and also every player.

A possible solution here is to use a Teleporter which is triggered instead of the custum actor for transporting the player. This way every player who jumps down later will also be transported to the end. The only thing which can't be prevented is the kill of everything inside the map, but at least the disconnection problem would be solved.

But I still would suggest to contact Zora about this problem. Maybe there already exists another solution for it.
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Hi £éè£å!

Thanks for taking a longer look at this and the explanation. :)

I personally like the idea of using a Teleporter which is triggered. Trying to get all players to "land down there" at roughly the same time could be troublesome to say the least!

Interestingly on Discord, goPostal also offered his help via means of a mutator so the maps wouldn't have to be renamed with the _NPF suffix. I still think that your idea of 3 or more testing it in-game is a good one, so hopefully Missionary can help us out here!

£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I will send Strategy a possible fix. This should prevent that players are disconnected from the server. But it will need some testing with 3+ players. The players shouldn't be at the same place. One should be outside in the map. One should wait in the bombroom (not jumping down) and one player should jump down in the bomb.
Please check what happens to each player. There shouldn't be any disconnections from the server. It's something I can't test fully alone.
Unfortunately I can't be there, because I must go to hospital later this day. Maybe an operation is coming up and I don't know how long this will take.