Questions, Informations and Discussions
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Replication problem with Deco-class

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi there :)

wasn't sure where to put this, but I think this is the nearest topic for it. :D
This is specially adressed to Masterkent and I hope he can find some time to look into it if possible. ;)

Recently I stumbled over a problem with the Moon2 actor. There seems to be a replication problem with the deco class. I made a little testmap for it and it can be found on the testserver.
The mapfilename is: _Moon-04

When you enter the map you are in a single room with 4 moons in front of you. Each moon has it's own number shown with a panel.
Here are the descriptions of each moon:

Moon number 1
This moon was added with its default settings, nothing was changed.

Moon number 2
This moon is similiar to the first, but has RemoteRole == ROLE_SimulatedProxy

Moon number 3
This moon was again added with the default values except the RotationRate was altered a bit. It's set to
RotationRate (Pitch=300,Yaw=-800,Roll=0) which makes it turning a bit slower.

Moon number 4
Now take a look at this crazy thing. The RotationRate was altered like in Moon number 3. And also it has RemoteRole == ROLE_SimulatedProxy.

I've no idea what is going on here, but my guess is a replication problem. As long as nothing was changed except the RemoteRole all works fine, but a little adjustment of the RotationRate and the Moon goes totally crazy.

Unfortunately not only the moon actors are effected. Currently I'm working on an old idea with which I started about 3 years ago. I thought I could finish it finally, but I also have a problem with an actor I want to use. I need to make a bunch of custom actors which are based on books. The new actors should have the the same abilities as books. That's why I simply subclassed the books for my own actors. They work pretty well, but when I try to set their RemoteRole to ROLE_SimulatedProxy they don't work online.
ROLE_DumbProxy works not good online for these actors, that's why I want them to move smooth like pawns.

This is not related to any Unreal version as far as I could see. It happens on a 225 server and same way on a 227 server.
Anyone have an idea why this is not working and more important, is there a way to make it work somehow?

Edit: Added an Endteleporter which goes to Nyleve
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Replication problem with Deco-class

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Thank you very much for these detailed informations. :)

That of course explains the strange behavior of the moon actor and why it's even rotating the opposite way (hehe, I was wondering why this also happens).
So it's not a big problem with moons.
I wish there would also be an easy way for my custom "book actors", but that seems to be a more complicated problem. I can't get them work online like they do in SP and also can't adjust the volume of their sounds. So I guess I have to stick with what I can get.
Kelly
FOD
FOD

Post by Kelly »

I've been working for a while on reactive decorations that subclass the normal ones. Boxes that break, lanterns that smash, books shed pages if they are hit really hard....stuff like that.

Demo:

I've worked through most all of the stock decorations and made them logically interactive. If you need some help making something that works correctly on a server just let me know. I'll see if I can help you out. Decos can be tricky to get right since a lot of them have no need for replication updating past initial map loading.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hiya :)

Well, what I try to do is nothing special. I want to make some actors which are basically still books. The behavior should stay the same.
The only two problems I have are the way they are replicated and the possibility to adjust the volume of the PushSound.
I know that Decorations usually only need DumbProxy as RemoteRole which of course makes sense, but for these actors it looks too bad online.
But no matter what I tried, I can't get them to work when I use SimulatedProxy as RemoteRole.

The perfect actor should move like a pawn and have a decent volume for the PushSound which is way too low in original. I already tried a custom sound with increased volume, but that works more bad than good and actually I don't want to use any custom sounds. It's not only the original PushSound of books, every sound I tried is quieter than usual.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

Meanwhile I was able to solve the sound problem. I found it when I checked the parent Decoration class and there the volume of the PushSound is reduced to 0.25, guess I missed that before.
So it's no problem to set it to 1.0 as default for my custom actors and also add a configurable variable for the Volume of the sound.

It's one step closer to the goal :Drogar-BigGrin: