Bummed Out.........

Provided by Sickpup to post about other games.
Forum rules
Post here about other online games
Oldsparky

Re: Bummed Out.........

Post by Oldsparky »

Well, I auto pruned many posts by dates posted after our friend moved forward many old posts and bonked the forum. Much of it was old and out of date anyway, and hand editing was out of the question. Yes, I guess I will have to agree, some things I didnt want to hear here. The site purpose is to futher and keep Unreal one alive and provide a safe haven for those that want clean gaming. I think the posting of things related to other games is counter productive to the reason this site exists in the first place. Just something that I personally feel. If the majority of users share your opinion, It certainly can be changed by an expression of opinions. Lets discuss the principle of posting about other games and its impact on the Clan and Unreal as a whole. Whats everyone else think. I have been wrong before, but the posting keeps getting heavier and heavier as others move to other games. :?: There are many ways of circumventing this problem either by using a second site or theTC site. I think most people who play a lot of games, like you, are checking your web space anyway. And while we are exchanging comments, I know Turd Central has become common place, but in certain areas of the world this word is considered as a very, very unsuitable word. I have said nothing because I understand how you mean it in the group, however it is considered unacceptable by some people not in the USA. This word IMHO doesnt fit the image either that we try to display here, on this family oriented site. Many things acceptable in this or that place are not acceptable in another. We need to be aware of this, and have others tell us, because unreal, and all of on line gaming is truly international. John, I have a great deal of respect for you and consider you one of the best, fair and fun players in unreal and I certainly meant no disrespect to you to the others on TC.(although and inspite of the fact you hang out with a certain punker)
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Unreal 1 is dying, and has been dying, fast. Newbies is the only server that normally always has people in it, and the others that play on other servers, well, they dont play in Newbies because of "certain" issues. The game is 10 years old, and so are the rules by which Newbies is governed. Change is the only thing that is gonna keep people playing and interested.

Us turds have been working hard to find other games that everyone can enjoy, and that their machines can support. Soldier of Fortune is a blast, albeit completely different gameplay and strategy from U1.

The UT server flopped because people don't want to play old unreal anymore, not to mention the complications with the oldskool mod. Nobody is making new maps (except for Tray here and there) for U1. Most of the new maps you see have been imported from UT and UT2003-04.

The NxS clan tried a UT2003 server (still up) and there just aren't enough players in that game anymore. The only Unreal series games that are heavily populated are UT99 and UT2004.

I am in the process of migrating the NxS server over to UT2004 because of the vast community. I suggest you start looking at your options as well Glen, because Unreal 1 is hanging on by a frayed thread. It's sad, but true..
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Yes, Unreal is in trouble, in spite of all we do on this site and with the servers, however there is always hope of a return of older players and we have seen a few lately. If you visit the reason for Newbies, Sickpups story, you can see the reluctance on my part to migrate to other games. The Newbies servers and the DOG clan remain dedicated to Sickpup, and that is my mission in a nutshell. I have no desire to move to other games and if I did it would most likely be UT99 as I have demonstrated by my active server tests. I purchased UT2004 and to me it feels and looks like a Sony play station. No thanks, not my cup of tea. :wink:
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Yes, Glen I fully understand about your situation. I also understand that this is the ONLY game you have ever played, so of course something different is going to take some time getting used to and you are going to be critical of it. I've been playing FPS's since 1992 when Wolfenstein 3D game out, and when I finally got unreal in late 1999 it was amazing. The gameplay is fast, solid and I love it. I haven't come across another game that plays like it, but that isn't going to happen. But, on the other end, alot of people have been run off from the DOG clan because of the fact that U1 is the only game that DOG is involved in. I've seen your news messages when payment time for the server comes around, and it seems that the only thing keeping people playing the game and donating to server costs is the threat of the server being terminated. What kind of motive/message do you think that sends to people?

To me personally, trying to keep this game alive is like trying to keep an old PC with Windows 95 OS, 32 mb of RAM and a 2 gig HDD running and trying to accomplish present day tasks with it. It is pointless.

You are going to have to do something sooner or later, so I'm just saying, keep your options available and have an open mind about them...
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Well fact is I supported Sickpups entirely for several years without donations and without a web site I might add. The message I am sending is I am not willing to support three servers, I didnt say unable. I am unable to update the news announcements to reflect financial stability at this point. I will support Sickpups as long as Unreal is alive an I am capable of doing so. You don't know the facts. Fact is I started on a Sinclair computer, went to commodore, and had one of the first Fairchild F video games. My kids, which were very young then, quit playing because I beat them to bad. I played unreal tournament more than unreal for the first 3 or 4 years. But that really doesnt matter people been saying unreal is dieing for over 5 years now, and we are still here. Sickpups will be 10 years Old in Dec or Jan, we cant determine an exact date. That is pretty amazing for a server and a clan. We have done it by sticking to our niche (KOTH), goals and rules and that is what we should do till the game dies or I am uncapable of taking care of the server(s). As far as issues other players have, I refuse to sponser a cesspool in gaming. Thats the end of that story. If they have issues with me or the admins, thats why there are other servers. Surely with 44 servers or so on line, they can find one they like. As I have always said, and I think pretty well enforced, anyone may play here as long as they follow the rules and treat others with respect. But after all they are a guest. It does take courage to say no sometime Louis, and it will make you very unpopular, if thats really is important to you, dont do something for other people for free. But as you grow older, you accept that some people just dont like you, and thats their right and you have to respect it, but they must also respect your right to take a stand and say no I dont agree with that. I also have met players I just dont like, and I tolerate them to a point. One thing I will not tolerate is disrepect for administrators or me on a private server. My opinion is we dont need that player and we will tough it out without them.. Do I sound gruf, well yeh, but Im old and grouchy and frankly scarlett....
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Overuled. Sickpup said it was inevitable anyway and I should add a thread for it. :|
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

GoodOleTaco wrote:So does it means we can post about the other games we play? How about servers we play in? You know I have always wanted freedom to post about the other games I love and play. Maybe you want to set some guidelines. Your call old fella :D
They 'old fella' has already made this subject clear. Ur allowed to post all the info u wanna share with us.

So, i wonder which game ur playing these days and on what server ?
--= Keep Running =--

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

GoodOleTaco wrote:Day Of Defeat: Freedom Fighters *NewbiesPlayground* Fast Map Downloads :D :D :D

63.215.74.207:27015

U better dust off that Taco Gift :wink: If u forgot ur STM ID and PW let me know. Its written down somewhere. :mrgreen:
Hehehe, thought ur gonna say that....srry man, havent been there much lately :(
And i do know my pwd :) Thought i asked u not to write it down :mrgreen: hehe...its safe in ur hands :)
--= Keep Running =--