Unreal 1990!

Provided by Sickpup to post about other games.
Forum rules
Post here about other online games
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Unreal 1990!

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

I was doing some random searching recently and came across this site about hints and tips for games.

Just out of sheer curiosity I navigated my way to the page for games beginning with a "U" to see if Unreal was there. To my amazement, it was! I read through the tips and hints for Unreal and found nothing new until I noticed that at the bottom of this page was the following advice :

"Another way passed the levels is to type "ORDILOGICUS" at the title screen. The screen will flash if it worked. This will give you god mode and let you go to the next level by pressing the 'RETURN' key. "

Obviously this didn't seem quite right to me, so I did a little DIGging and discovered that another game called Unreal was released (initially for the Amiga) in 1990. Well I guess others may know about this, but i certainly didn't, very interesting indeed! See below :

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C8z1oxgVq4[/BBvideo]

I would be interested to know if anyone else knows this game or has played it or maybe even owns it. I know DrFlay™ is/was an Amiga guy, but he is the only person I know within Unreal who is also "an Amiga fanatic", so to speak. If anyone has played/owned this game, I would be very interested to hear about it!

WOOF!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: Unreal 1990!

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Well then you're glad you have me here. I did know about this game, even had it briefly but unfortunately didn't get around to running it. The MS Dos version. It had obviously the same name as Unreal and perhaps some inspiration took place too especially given that you ride a dragon in the fake 3d like stages?

Hell, a guy called ..what was he called? I have the impression but I can't quite put it together. A guy called 3dfxplex. No that wasn't it. I forgot honestly. But that guy, whoever he was, made it seem like he had some early unreal, perhaps even believed so, when it became clear it wasn't quite the same unreal, lol.

Oh yea and there was that "Unreal" demo by Future Crew, and Future Crew did have connections with Epic. Some of their musicians etc worked together with them and one of their projects was an inspiration for Epic Pinball.

But from what it's worth the MS DOS version is way inferior from the looks of it to the Amiga version.

Oh and Cliff Bleszinski was a huge Amiga guy.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

I do know this game. It as excellebt visuals. What do you want to knoe 'bout it?
Dr.Flay
FOD
FOD

Post by Dr.Flay »

If you fancy a dip into the Amiga world you can find a version of Unreal built for use with AIAB (Amiga In A Box) listed in the extras.
http://aiab.ultimateamiga.co.uk
If I remember right when AIAB first runs it gives you the choice of 3 different desktop styles (a bit like Linux)
I was always a fan of the artistic Magic Workbench style, but NewIcons is more modern.

Sorry no opinions on Unreal as I have never played it, but yes I was aware of it.
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

makemeunreal wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm I do know this game. It as excellebt visuals. What do you want to knoe 'bout it?

Well basically I thought I might give it a try if it was possible, for the lulz. :)
I have some experience with emulators for Spectrum, BBC and Dragon computers, but know little about the Amiga emulation scene. Although in my first year at university, I lived in a large shared house where a guy had this great Pinball game for his Amiga. We would all gather round and take it in turns, long past midnight - good times. At the time, I had an AtariST which I used for Cubase sequencing, but in hindsight I wish I had taken a longer look at the Amiga and what it had to offer.

I took a look at the link that DrFlay™ gave and am now faced with the moral dilemma of "do I download a ROM(s)" to give it a go. I mean downloading a ROM file is basically downloading a virtual computer that some people had to pay for. Even then I would still have to find the game itself, so with both the ROM download being technically not legal and presumably the game will still be copyrighted, I wonder if it is actually worth it. Although as you say, it has "excellent visuals".

Now I'm wondering how 2 games were allowed to be branded with same name, but that area of legality is beyond my knowledge.

I still may give it a go!

WOOF!

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It's just...Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein. They could often sell complete nonsense to everyone and they ate it. There were a lot of grey areas during the unreal developement. Many of the people that contributed to the game never got credited, including the artist who did all the unrealed icons and toolbar icons.

If those people got together they could sue Epic for ...what was the legal term again? Well they would have won I can tell you that.

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Found it somewhere lol!

Unreal Download (1990 Amiga Game)

Interesting game description. In this game the "damsel in distress" needs rescuing by the hero, yet only 8 years later, the female is the main protagonist who rescues herself!

After listening to some of the audio though (which may have been ok for 1990), I am going to give playing this one a miss - haha.

WOOF!

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

The one thing though that people forget when it comes to audio though is that these days you can't get the same sound/quality like in the old days.

When I was in the netherlands I got hold of some antique hardware and boy did stuff sound/look better on that.

Many people forget that emulators like dosbox never get the proper timing as smooth and accurate as it used to be, or some games have glitches like white background and such.

And then combine it with cheap lcd screens and similar, the image gets distorted and people won't appreciate the fine art anymore and what kind of state of art these games used to be.

Just saying.

EDIT: The same goes for the old "MIDI" story like everyone these days assume that MIDI is supposed to sound like what they heard on windows, forgetting or not knowing what difference it was on GUS etc. There are still GUS addons for emulation for dosbox though.

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Ah no I didn't use the download from that site and I don't use DOSBOX, so some confusion there.

Here are some useful sites about it....

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Unreal_(game)

http://www.whdload.de/games/Unreal.html

https://cbm8bit.com/amiga/amiga/server/ ... /demo/mega

I think out of all I have seen so far to do with this game, the best bit was the word "ORDILOGICUS" ; it enticed me! :P

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I forgot what "enticed" means to be honest. I guess it's not the same as excited.

hmmm....both are similar terms it seems. But I guess enticed is more like "ooh" and excited is "yay".

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 pm I forgot what "enticed" means to be honest. I guess it's not the same as excited.

Haha yes that's true!

The part that interests me most is how females have been perceived through media over the years, in this case a game.

1990 A game called Unreal where the "poor, defenceless princess (woman)" needs to be rescued by a hero (in this case male).

1998 A better game called Unreal (hehe) where the hero is female, who survives an intrepid ordeal and all the guys die! lol

Just made me smile. :)

Signourney Weaver always gets my vote in Alien. I have seen Aliens but it's always the first one for me...anyway.......

WOOF!

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

She's less badass in Aliens than in the original I guess, emotionally she's much more broken though that's understandable given everything.

Either way don't forget Jill of the Jungle.

So I guess you have real Amiga? I was kind of speaking about myself when talking about dosbox, but unlike some people I know how the real thing plays.

Me and my partner, we've lost all that equipment. I had to start from scratch because things happened back there. And they destroyed everything, from scanner to all the machines/hardware etc. Part of it was equivalent to 'swatting', but I don't want to go to details, especially not in this thread!

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm Either way don't forget Jill of the Jungle.

Not heard of that one. :)
Sounds a bit cartoony to me but....
Off to find out.....

EDIT: I definitely don't want to play Jill of the Jungle!

Jill_of_the_Jungle.screenshot.png

EVEN LATER EDIT:

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm So I guess you have real Amiga?

No but on the music campus here, many people have retro setups, Ataris (usually for MIDI/Cubase), Amigas, really ancient 286s and lords knows what else. Most of the students play records and not CDs, it's fairly "old hat" here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

But...Jill eventually rescues a prince! So it's damsel in distress in reverse.

EDIT:
Also that screenshot doesn't really give the game justice and it's too much of low res...when I zoom it it doesn't look as good as it did on good big CRT screen..if you get what I mean.

There is however a better game that used the same engine, but modified, Xargon. Though that features a guy. There was also Jill 2, not Jill episode 2 though, but real Jill 2...and it got cancelled thanks to Jack Jackrabbit...however the people behind it re-made it to a different game, with a different female character who suddenly was obviously too much of eye candy, they even hired a model to do posing for game art and stuff...it's really bizarre story. And I forgot how that game got called to be honest...no it wasn't Xena the warrior princess...
EDIT: It was called Vinyl the goddess of mars I believe...practically the sequel to Jill except they changed the content a bit.

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Now I can't shake the feeling of Jill rescuing Fresh Prince of Persia...