GPFs and game crashes.

POST PLAYING SETTINGS AND SUGGESTIONS HERE
Oldsparky

GPFs and game crashes.

Post by Oldsparky »

Assuming that your computer runs good and doesnt normally crash, and your not running Windows Vista, game crashes are usually caused by having a ton of junk in your unreal files.

Here is what I suggest.
Don't install any mods or special things in your game unless your a computer wizard or know enough to know how to fix your game if it crashes. Server administrators and code writers, and map makers often have a second or special unreal installation to do their work in.

The installation you play on should just be stock Unreal files. I would say that installing special skins is normally ok. But don't go overboard here either. Get the game running and your key binds and key preferences all set up. Then save the User and Unreal Config file out of the game system folder for later use, in event of a crash. After you get the game running smooth in the fly by, and you can connect to online servers, download the needed files for each server from the server your trying to join. Don't install files. In the case of the Newbies servers, get the supercache files and install them to stop waiting for long downloads. By playing from the cache file you will eliminate countless game crashes and Mismatchs. This will not totally stop game crashes but it will sure help. There is a problem when you download a file from the server and then your unable to spawn or play. This started with uteam 10f and you will see utf replication errors kicking you from the server. This usually doesnt happen after you once have the cache files installed or downloaded. Its a bug, I agree but worth it for the benefits that UTEAM brings to the game.

Be sure and read the HTML document found in the supercache folder under downloads. Save super cache to a file server or DVD so you don't have to download them again.

When playing from the cache files and you change servers you may see a file mismatch. This is because a file is loaded in your ram(like going from edm to uteam server). All you need to do is exit the game and restart and the problem will be gone.
Bah<ROK>
FOD
FOD

Post by Bah<ROK> »

Actually, if you bind a key to"obj garbage" (w/o the quotes of course), that will eliminate mismatches from other servers. You can disconnect from one server, hit the bind, and join a server that gives you a version mismatch :lol:
Also, for a point of interest, if you type "obj linkers" in your console, it will pull up a list of all the serverpackages on that server.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!
DaveAnd___
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by DaveAnd___ »

Bah<ROK> wrote:Actually, if you bind a key to"obj garbage" (w/o the quotes of course), that will eliminate mismatches from other servers. You can disconnect from one server, hit the bind, and join a server that gives you a version mismatch :lol:
Also, for a point of interest, if you type "obj linkers" in your console, it will pull up a list of all the serverpackages on that server.
Thanks,

I usually start a bot match then join other server.

Wonder if this will clear the ghost objects and score entires in gold - when you rejoin a server?? I do the above for this too....

--What happens if you do it in game-- I'll try it tonight....