a way to save your unreal mods, files, etc.

POST PLAYING SETTINGS AND SUGGESTIONS HERE
Solid_Snake1998

a way to save your unreal mods, files, etc.

Post by Solid_Snake1998 »

one way you can save your files, maps or mods in progress is to use a USB data card, or even a CD to burn your files on. I have a USB data card and whenever my computer has crashed I never lost any precious data! I hope this is helpful and it would be especially useful to unrealeditor map makers. ;)
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: a way to save your unreal mods, files, etc.

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Wow - awesome tip Solid!

Ever since my first home computer, the ZX81, which I bought in - well - 1981, I have been wondering how I can back up my files more efficiently. What do these USB "data-cards" look like? How do I backup to a CD by the way? I thought Cds were only for music. :o

Just to clarify, are USB data-cards actually made of card?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
-(bob)-
FOD
FOD

Post by -(bob)- »

here is one of those usb - cards i think
Some modern mods may require a truck full tho as each card can only store 80 bytes. so for even small mods , you would need about 100 cards
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

:P hehe
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Solid_Snake1998

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote:Wow - awesome tip Solid!

Ever since my first home computer, the ZX81, which I bought in - well - 1981, I have been wondering how I can back up my files more efficiently. What do these USB "data-cards" look like? How do I backup to a CD by the way? I thought Cds were only for music. :o

Just to clarify, are USB data-cards actually made of card?
well I will be posting tips on how you can burn the files to a cd soon. secondly as for the USB data cards, I should have a link up shortly of what they are.

btw my USB data card is 16 GB's! :Drogar-Laugh:
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

-(bob)- wrote:here is one of those usb - cards i think
Some modern mods may require a truck full tho as each card can only store 80 bytes. so for even small mods , you would need about 100 cards
Thanks Bob, your response is much appreciated :cheesygrin:

Well 80 bytes is a little under what I had in mind. However, I don't think I'd need a truck-full. With only 220 I could easily backup the 17.1kb README from the SkaarjTower series. This still leaves me a little short though of my full backup. But given how cheap those cards must be in your picture, I have looked into it a little further. The problem is I can't seem to find a retailer who sells them anywhere - hmm - not even Amazon :crying: . Have they been phased out recently?
Thanking you in advance for your help in this matter.

PS. Sorry Strategy, I hope I'm not over-posting and littering the forums with too much spam. :titter: I know that kind of behaviour is generally frowned on, so I will make this my last comment.

WOOF WOOF!

x21
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by x21 »

I found a usb data card
But it is only 1kb :(
-(bob)-
FOD
FOD

Post by -(bob)- »

@X21 "error in core.dll" comes to mind to bad once to read the data out of the cores it essentially erased.
also i have tapes and the "drive" sitting here for the texas instrument home pc lol and downstairs for the SOL computer
Solid_Snake1998

i'm sorry I meant a USB data ''DRIVE'' I forgot the name. you can usually find them for $10 or less on most online stores. or if your lucky you can find them on sale at places like Wal-Mart where I found mine for $4!
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Solid_Snake1998 wrote:..............where I found mine for $4!
Well ain't that a bargain.
What kind of transfer rates do you get with your USB "device" and what brand is it?

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote:......... write speed in Gbit/Years ?
Too funny! :flap:
Great URL - nice one - I checked it out.

Awww..... the Commodore Datasette didn't have a red record button! Love that old 3-digit tape counter - awesome.
Did you have a VIC-20 and a C64, or both? Retro rules!

Woof wOOf!

Dr.Flay
FOD
FOD

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am sure from the arcane references here, that most of us are old enough to remember when you got your monthly magazine, and typed the BASIC loader, then pages of HEX (between lots of coffee) until finally you typed RUN and held your breath....
**CHECKSUM ERROR LINE 1337**
At some point the digital gods would smile, and you had something worth saving.
Hooray finally a game to play :flap:

I think most of us here have been backing-up our important stuff since our first disasters with Windows 3 and Amiga OS.
We probably could all share a variety of backup tips.
Mine would mostly cover robust and reliable backups so recovery is always guaranteed.
I favour dedicating old HDs for long-term storage, as they do not fade as quickly.
Optical discs and solid state storage are not as reliable over long periods.
For important things I always use RAR and include a recovery record, so that even if the media and file are damaged, I can rebuild the original archive.

I use a separate copy of UT to edit with, so all my extra mods don't cause havoc, though mostly I edit with Unreal UEd2.1
4 external drives contain duplications of all my music and Unreal series installations (except UT3).

If I do get a serious drive corruption, then I dip into my bag of tools and resurrect any recent files
https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/recovery-tools

Always run a SMART monitor in the background, and you will be informed if your drive is going to fail before it fails.
https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/s-m-a-r-t-tools
Solid_Snake1998

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote:
Solid_Snake1998 wrote:..............where I found mine for $4!
Well ain't that a bargain.
What kind of transfer rates do you get with your USB "device" and what brand is it?
it's a sandisk brand. btw whats a transfer rate?
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote:Voodoo, I sent my C64G ( see picture) to get it fixed. Black screen problem.......
Awww that's a pity, really hope you got it fixed - and at low cost.
BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote:Not the real thing when you play on an emulator. ......
Couldn't agree more, although it's better than nothing for me, because my C64 has been in heaven for a long time now lol.
Been using VICE for a long time now so I could relive those classic Jeff Minter games, my favourite being Attack of the Mutant Camels - hehe :) Now that's a title for a game!

Can you recommend another C64 emulator BBG ? I don't care if I have to use a "DOS window", long as it works well.

PS. I still got my Dragon32, which although it sucked a bit, still gives me buzz hooking it up to an old analogue TV.

PPS. Hopefully this post will get moved to General Stuff.
Last edited by VooDoo-(DOG)- on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Solid_Snake1998 wrote:.....btw whats a transfer rate?
Try this link Solid :-

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/

Just intrigued that's all because USB speed varies dramatically. Pretty sure my transfer rate sucks, so was just asking you, to get a comparison.

PS. I remember playing with you fairly often on the Herd servers a few years ago, which are also probably in Na Pali heaven :)