I would like to see ut server back online

UT99 related discussions
Oldsparky

Re: I would like to see ut server back online

Post by Oldsparky »

Rubie has this server running again on ut.
}TCP{Wolf
FOD
FOD

Post by }TCP{Wolf »

Rubicon-(DOG)- wrote:Sry but those files are for some reason protected by server and will give failed connection!
http://wolf.tcpclan.net/projects/Unreal/UDL.html

Technical explanation:

The original maps of Unreal have the "download disabled" flag set. You -CAN- enable that using above tool if you want to.

LEGAL disclaimer: I am not entirely sure that it would be legal to enable this. On the one hand, you would enable downloading of copyrighted original game content within another game (UT != Unreal). On the other hand, the Unreal Engine EULA clearly states derivative work of any Unreal Engine game is always allowed inside any other Unreal Engine game. Please do consult a lawyer or Epic Megagame's legal department prior to enabling download of the original Unreal maps inside UT.

~Wolf
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I can only support that.
I would not enable download for original Unreal files without strict permission from Epic.
But normally it even shouldn't be necessary because everyone who has Unreal should also have all the files.
For the case you changed something in the original maps it's highly recommended to use new filenames for the changed maps.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

I agree with this on change download attributes. To play original unreal maps on ut, the players should have purchased and possess both cds.