The case of the disappearing actor!

Discussions on UED-related topics
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

The case of the disappearing actor!

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

I am currently working on an edit of DIG, primarily to change all default sounds (where possible) and add extra AmbientSounds and DynamicAmbientSounds to make it sound like the mining of Tarydium is actually happening. Also though, to make the map less easy to "win".

I placed the actor tripbomb.tripbombpickup in the corridor at the very start of the map, but cannot see it at all in the editor. That actor is from this package by KaosCasey :

TripBomb.7z

In game screenshot

Editor's Dyanmic lighting view

Naturally my first thought was that I had placed it too low and it was "under the floor", hence why I could not see it, so I figured that the next logical step (for an editor noob like me) would be to use the "Search for actors" function and of course it finds it in the map, but there is nothing to see, even using the Top view.....

Editor's Top view

So.... my question(s) :

(1) Do I have to toggle a certain function to be able to see "certain actors"?
(2) Is this just a quirk with this particular package/actor?
(3) Is KaosCasey playing a trick on me - hehe, only joking.
(4) Am I completely stooooopid?

Any answers to questions 1-3 will be very much appreciated. Answering question 4 should be done silently in your head. :cheesygrin:

Thanks in advance anyone!

WOOF!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: The case of the disappearing actor!

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I didn't download it but probably casey didn't bother assigning "Mesh" to the actor and only pickupviewmesh. You might try to turn on icon display mode via the viewport menu and see if it helps. If not, pop up propeties of anything....then simply use the search for actor function and double click on it and the properties dialog should change to the actor you want. Then in Display assign a mesh you want so at least you see it in the editor. If that's not the problem there are other possibilities but I bet it is simply this.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
Vendirty
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Vendirty »

Have you tried placing it in a different section of the map? Sometimes there are void areas where it wont show it was put there so I put it somewhere else and move it to where i want.
vendirty-(DOG)-
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Thanks for replying guys!

@Leo(T.C.K.)
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm there are other possibilities but I bet it is simply this.

Thank you very much! It was simply that! :P

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm If not, pop up propeties of anything....then simply use the search for actor function and double click on it and the properties dialog should change to the actor you want.

Yes this was the only way I could interact with it (at the time). So I realised I could change its properties and therefore be able to move it for example, but that wouldn't help me be able to delete it, which is what I wanted to do.

[EDIT: Actually I could have deleted it, I can see in hindsight.....]

@vendirty-(DOG)-
Vendirty wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pmSometimes there are void areas........

Well I knew I could move it around as mentioned above, but I'm glad you mentioned the "void areas"; I have found quite a few of those in this map!

Looking forward to more of your maps by the way.

@Masterkent
Masterkent wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:58 pm Did you check if its bHiddenEd is True?

Not then, but I have now and bHiddenEd is false. Thanks for that though, 1 more possible option to check for further similar situations. :)

WOOF!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
mrc333777
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by mrc333777 »

its not you or the mod, its the editor and the game itself, it also happens with the Decoration Lantern.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

mrc333777 wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm its not you or the mod, its the editor and the game itself, it also happens with the Decoration Lantern.
No, that's something else. You sure must mean the case of "viewed at an angle" disappearing actor. That no longer occurs in the ou patches and also daewon once released a fix for that for the classic versions as well, you have to place an extra actor in the maps though, it modifies the way player would see the affected actor in its radius. Quite a lot of maths and magic but it's a feat.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959