Disappointing observations

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
species8472
FOD
FOD

Disappointing observations

Post by species8472 »

These are some disappointing observations I had during my last few trips to SickPuppy's server.

First of all, these are in no way meant as complaints or relate to the majority of the players and definitely not the server. I am sure many of you remember me and even more have never heard of me. This is the only game in have played and have been playing for a decade now whenever my health allows. When I did play all the time I felt like I did have respect. Because there can been a huge gap in time when I play changes are easily apparent which might not be to those playing everyday.

Let me tell you a small bit of what happened to try to point out my perspective.

The map that was running when I entered the server was a VERY small map with basically one open area. I spawn next to an eightball and proceeded to load and shoot with the purpose of remembering what the lag is like on a slow dial-up. By the time it was loaded I saw the king so I fired in that direction killing a different DOG. Immediately I was rudely told by the player leading by 18 points to shoot the king like I was some kind of idiot. I have heard it all before so it didn't hardly register. But it didn't stop. Later, we were in a map where a large percent of the time no one was king because of self-inflicted injuries. If I would let rockets go across the map and have someone become king in the mean time I would hear the same garbage again and again. NEVER were any wrong killings intentional. Sparky knows me and knows I have always played with honor and class. I have spent hours in 1 on 1 with him and used to even throw a weapon to spawners. The complaints were not all aimed at me I saw others players belittled over and over. That reflects on every player in the server at the time and it bothers me to be part of it. Many people won't remember who threw the insults just who was in the server at the time.

This may sound like it is about me but I have dealt with much worse. My main concern is with the health of SickPuppy's server. It (and he) has done much to help the game. When I used to play everyday and would have ran into a server with players with that kind of attitude I would have been out of there in no time. I play to have fun and get away for all of the petty bickering that goes on way to often in this world so I assume many others do the same. If this is the case the server will never be able to attract and keep enough new players. As far as I know, this never has been or is the way of SickPuppy's.

Yes, while I was playing I was treated with respect by the vast majority of the players and I am thankful for that. That is why I have always played there and said I always would. At the same time I realize anyone new to the server will not notice the 90% of good but they will remember the very small percent of their bad experiences and definitely the truly rude. This is greater than the argument over the rules of KOTH or PKOTH. My last few times on the server it just feels like the ideals of SickPuppy are being lost. Times have changed a ton and it is almost a miracle the game and server still exist. Still, it is hugely depressing for me to see it so clearly. Anyone playing the game should treat someone entering the server as a special gift especially now that every single player can help keep Unreal going. It only takes one or two rude comments to get someone to leave the server then they are a lot less likely to ever return. That is a huge loss for the community which can be caused by a single clan member. I could call out several by name but that would just add to the bickering which is what I am trying to prevent.

Can I please make a suggestion?

Will DOG clan members try never to complain during the game about the KOTH rules? It is so old and what good can come from it? If you have an extra death, so what? Is it worth chasing players away from the server and possible the game forever? Plus, why complain about anything, this is supposed to be fun. If someone knocks you in the lava laugh at it instead of complaining because it makes the game a lot more fun for everybody.

Almost all of the DOG clan members are considered my best of friends. I am sure others will be as I get to know them, too. That is why I have and will continue to play on SickPuppy's. After my last time there I wondered for the first time ever if it was worth it but I will not let a jerk or two interfere with such a good think. Even so, I am worried if this continues a jerk or two could cause a collapse of a lot of work by a lot of good people.

Please remember one of the founding rules:

Always be kind and helpful to new players.

And may I add "any players"

One last thing, thanks to all for the many hundreds of hours of fragging we have had. Even though I do not play as regularly as I would like I do think about it and you guys every day.

species_8472
Oldsparky

Re: Disappointing observations

Post by Oldsparky »

Hey Craig, glad to see you in the server even if it was only for a few maps. It's amazing how well you played with your never ending pain. Come again soon. Your quite right in your observations. It used to be a kinder gentler server. But I must also say that mostly we see only duh diehard players these days. Real newbies are few and far between. Something that I have added because of this post is the add insertion tool from snipers paradise. It will from time to time spout out stuff about the server and the server rules and the web site. I think its easier to accept when its automated and comes from the server and not the players. That way, as soon as I have settings correct, players will be able to just play and not make the "shoot the King" kind of comments. This should provide more harmony among players, and then the admins can deal with habitual rule breakers. It's very difficult to keep servers populated today so our tolerance level needs to increase back to levels they were at in earlier times.
Little Daisy Sunshine
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Re: Disappointing observations

Post by Little Daisy Sunshine »

I was very glad to see you. :D I hope you saw my hi's and my welcomes. It was very full and a bit duh... but,
please don't let that stop you from coming in. I know the old man is trying to balance things out. I also know
its kind of irritating when someone leading by 15+ points starts whining... but, still dont let that stop you
from coming in and having fun. I know that some maps are alot more fun than others when full and people do still
laugh and talk.

I hope to see you soon,
God bless.

Daisy
On Earth, as it is in Heaven...

www.firesong.com