Speed up your Internet (Dial-up, this is for you)

Post general stuff here
Forum rules
Do Not Post About Other Games here but in the Thread provided for it.
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Speed up your Internet (Dial-up, this is for you)

Post by Masterman »

6. Increasing connection speed

Some of us may find that after installing Windows XP, the Internet connection gets slower. A possible reason for this is the QoS (Quality of Service) installed. This service reserves 20 per cent of the bandwidth for itself, even with QoS disabled. In order to remove this reserved quota, you will have to make sure you are logged on as Administrator.

Go to Start > Run and type gpedit.msc.

Expand the ‘local computer policy’ branch, the ‘administrative templates’ branch, and the ‘network’ branch.

Highlight the ‘QoS Packet Scheduler’ in the left window and in the right window double-click the ‘limit reservable bandwidth’ setting.

Then, on the Setting tab, check the ‘enabled’ item and change the ‘Bandwidth limit %’ to read 0. After doing this, you should immediately notice a boost in your Internet connection speed.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/ar ... dowsxp.php

So far Minus, Tray, Ruud (Wever) and myself (applied to several machines as well) have done this and it makes quite a difference. It has been around for a long time.

Ruud also brought up the fact about XP Home users. You will need to download the following provided by him (XP Pro users disregard):

http://timhovius.googlegroups.com/web/G ... riqwTHAhaQ

Enjoy and ask questions as needed. 8)
cpuenvy
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Re: Speed up your Internet (Dial-up, this is for you)

Post by cpuenvy »

You want to watch that "Unlimited" business. I have the iPhone, and I can guarantee you that "Unlimited" really means about 5GB a day.

Verizon does it too.