WAV File Loops in OpenMPT

Post general stuff here
Forum rules
Do Not Post About Other Games here but in the Thread provided for it.
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

WAV File Loops in OpenMPT

Post by SerpentineStorm-(DOG)- »

Xangent Speaks,

I decided to take my time and do something with a game (Return to Castle Wolfenstein)'s music files to make them loop at the right time (In other words, smooth loop transitions), by which some of them succeed on looping at the right time in the transition, while others are a bit racing on the original soundtrack's loop end, which is a bit irritating.

Is there a way in order to make the loop transition smooth and that it ends at the right time without racing the soundtrack's end?

I will try to upload at least two of RtCW's soundtracks that I used in OpenMPT in order to know what causes the problem.

Best Regards. :)

WOOF!

EDIT: These files are OpenMPT files packed in a RAR file, so if there's a solution, I'm more than happy to listen and carefully follow instructions:

RtCW OST Modules.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: WAV File Loops in OpenMPT

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I do not have the sufficient knowledge to help you in this as I am not aware of the programs you used...

But...I know that some CDs have tracks "cut" incorrectly. Not sure if that's what you refer to, as in that you hear the start of the next song at the end of the last one.

Otherwise I am afraid I do not know what exactly you refer to (and I haven't viewed the attached file yet).

I will, but not immediately.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm I do not have the sufficient knowledge to help you in this as I am not aware of the programs you used...

I respectively only used OpenMPT, just added in the songs, and made various patterns for the CD Tracks to play regularly. So the songs are samples.
I then added a position jump in order to smoothly go for the next transition.

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm But...I know that some CDs have tracks "cut" incorrectly. Not sure if that's what you refer to, as in that you hear the start of the next song at the end of the last one.
That isn't what I actually referred to, I meant that there are some songs that loop correctly when put in loop mode, which means that a single song would actually loop immediately back to the start after it ends, without a delay/gap between the end and the start of the song.
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm Otherwise I am afraid I do not know what exactly you refer to (and I haven't viewed the attached file yet).

I will, but not immediately.

It doesn't necessarily have to be now or immediate, but unless you can take time and do it, you are more than welcome.

Best Regards. :)

WOOF!
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

OK hold on, so all you want is the "silence" at the end to be gone, right?

Why can't you just cut it off from the end then if that's the issue?

SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

The issue is that when I usually put the position jump at the perfect end of a song, it gets to a point where the end of the song wouldn't continue and that the beginning immediately starts before 1/4 of the end.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Well, I don't use any tracker program currently, the first song I tried still sounds fine despite I guess ending early.

EDIT: Try to give me the wav files and I'll see how it is. But I can't do a thing now when it's inside the tracker file.

SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Roger that, here are the files:
RtCW_WAVFiles.rar

Keep in mind though, "RtCW_HeadQuartersBriefing" has the second part of the briefing soundtrack mixed with the first to form the full soundtrack. So the first part of the briefing soundtrack is complete and ends at the right time, only the second doesn't go with the flow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

OK well all I have to say is that these files do not loop on themselves, like most Unreal looping sounds do. Would you want that to be the case, or is this purely related to OpenMPT then?

If just to OpenMPT I'm afraid I can't help you with that but of course I could set the stuff to be looping on default as sound itself.

SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

I think that should be the case, until I could actually find a solution to this myself...
I don't think it has to deal with OpenMPT, I genuinely am uncertain if the loops are OpenMPT's problems or the sound files themselves, because when I used the looping feature in the Sample section, they were looping like how I expect them to loop, but it seems that OpenMPT doesn't really loop the sample at the exact end of the song.

Anyway, we might try to look further, maybe we might find out a pretty great solution!
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It's been very hectic around here, please excuse the delay. That wouldn't happen under normal circumstances and I'd try to help soon.

SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

It's okay, Leo, take your time.

WOOF!
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

And it turns out the program I have doesn't support it!

Well, as a matter of fact I found instructions here:
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Im ... only_UT.29
ignore the only UT part what they mean is only Unreal Engine 1... it does mention Mod Plug though
There was a way to hexedit the sound even to do that but I honestly forgot by this point.

SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Hmm... I might check that out.
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

I am going to at least try Sound Forge and Audacity, and see what could I do with their features.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Do it with Sound Forge, Audacity didn't have the option they listed, or something compatible with Unreal.