Unreal has died.

Post articles here relating to real life problems, not problems related to unreal.
Forum rules
This is for real life posts. Remember our decency rules.
Oldsparky

Unreal has died.

Post by Oldsparky »

Well, the Old One should make an entrance here. How many times over the past years since 100 years ago have I heard Unreal is dead?
Indeed it is dead for some. If you think its dead for yourself, then its truly dead. I have seen groups of players come and go over the years as it dies for a group and a new group appears. I have kept interested in Unreal only by an interest in a lot of things besides playing. Number one is the chance to meet new exciting people, people from all walks of life and various occupations and interests. This is probably more about the people than the actual game. There are some great folks on Unreal, with a lot of different goals in life. Its a great chance to learn about the world we live in and the people that inhabit it. The Dog Clan is more than a unreal clan, but a group of people that shared a common interest in a computer game, and became on line friends with friendships that survive long after the game has become less important. If I were to list all the players that have come and gone, it would take hours to type it.

I feel many of the COOP players are missing the boat on the options available in unreal. There are many game types to be enjoyed. The Dm Servers have literaly thousands of maps to explore and learn and tweak your interest. Part of the problem with DM is everyone is in the kill kill mode these days. In days past we explored and took the time to learn the maps. We each explored and shared the secrets with one another. Then after everyone knew the map we would play. Seems no one has the time these days to explore an spend time.

If you want to hone your playing skills, MonsterMash is probably the best way. You learn to use multiple weapons, on multiple targets and handle extreme heavy attacks, like I can do on KOTH.

Playing the same coop maps over and over gets boring. Its only the players that make it fun. When you dont know the map and everything is unexpected tis more fun. This is evident by the player load increases when new maps come up for play.
There are two things that keep the Coop server alive, new maps and secrets, and peoples friendship..

I know everyone will not agree with my understanding of this, but this comes from a long time running servers and thousands of hours of playing the same maps over and over.

So in the end, Unreal is only what you make of it, the same as lasting friendships formed while learning and playing the game some of us love no matter what.

Woofers,, need some excitement,, meet me on Sickpups, and bring your guns and best shot.

The Clan Survives it all.
Once a Dog always a Dog, even if you don't play, Now thats friendship isn't it?
BrakeDanceJ
FOD
FOD

Re: Unreal has died.

Post by BrakeDanceJ »

I have had the same feelings about Coop for ages..
BotBot
FOD
FOD

Post by BotBot »

i am feeling doggy style :mrgreen:
species8472
FOD
FOD

Post by species8472 »

The Old Wise One is pretty accurate with his comments about Unreal being more about the people than the scoreboard. When you think back about the games you can remember over the last number of years I would bet that almost all of them would be much more focused on the other players than the scores.

I sure don't remember any actual scores. There are times I remember someone would get on a roll and have a big winning streak but even in those cases most of the names are gone.

Many games where I chatted with people leave memories that will be with me for years. Those cases with chatting were while we were still killing and getting killed. Its not just the chatting either. I know I will remember a lot of times when I got help or helped others learn the maps. Those good memories come up everytime I am back on the same map and a lot of times when I am not near the computer.

This shows that it is the good quality people here that is the most important aspect.

I haven't been physically able to play for quite a while now and I do miss it. The excitement and competition are missed but if I played now it wouldn't be close to the same without the same fellow gamers (AKA - friends) I have known for over a decade. They are what I miss the most.

Its a little late but HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

species8472