perpetual mover

Questions, Informations and Discussions
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: perpetual mover

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Be sure to rebuild paths when you do that, also looking forward to this, I didn't know you were making this map.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

I add the little altered testmap. I removed the first AlarmPoint here, it's not needed. Also I add a Trigger to the Button to make sure the Merc is triggered by a Player.
Ok, you can try the following in the real map to see if it works. First do a PathDefine and make sure all points are connected with a blue line (Under View activate Show Path best in the overview window).

In every AlarmPoint you use for the Mercenary set bNoFail to True.
In the Mercenary Properties set the following:

Orders

AlarmTag = enter here the Tag of the final destination AlarmPoint
bDelayedPatrol = True
Orders = Patroling
OrderTag = the Tag of the first AlarmPoint

When a Player triggers the Mercenary now, he will start going to the last AlarmPoint. He will ignore the Player until he reached his goal and then start the action defined in the AlarmPoint, or if nothing is defined simply attack the Player.
That should work normally, if there are any problems let me know.

Kami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Yep, I noticed that the Merc needs his little "push" to start :lol: . I'm not sure if Patroling works with AlarmPoints, tried to make him run as soon as he is triggered. But it seems he needs to see the player to start his sequence. It also should work when he does not see the player. With PatrolPoints and Patroling that would work fine, but I need to look if the same is possible with AlarmPoints. When I find something I'll let you know ;)

Kami
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Ok, this is what I've found.

When you use AlarmPoints the Merc needs no Orders, also it's not necessary to trigger him. He will be idle at his start position until he is stimulated by a player, means if he sees the player. Then he will move to the AlarmPoint given under AlarmTag.

If I understand correctly you need to use PatrolPoints and bDelayedPatrol = True, Order = Patroling.
In this case the Merc stays idle and start the action as soon as he is triggered without the need to see the player.

I must admit that the use of AlarmPoints and PatrolPoints had always confused me a little.
If you want the Merc to reach the last point for sure, you should use AlarmPoints and set bNoFail = True. It's not necessary to set the Attitude to Ignore, he will first go to the last AlarmPoint and then attack the player. Only thing here is, the Merc must first see the player. I think that makes sense because the whole sequence wouldn't be necessary if a player can't see what the Merc is doing. Please correct me if I'm wrong with it.

Kami
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Correcting ;)

There are two ways a ScriptedPawn will run through its AlarmPoints, either he will see you, or he can be triggered, this is seen on one of the StrangeWorld maps, Strange3.unr I believe, with PatrolPoints, you only set bDelayedPatrol to true if you want the patrol to be triggered, the same thing goes with PatrolPoints as AlarmPoints, trigger the monsters and they run through their routine, heres what I have done with my map that I am working on

about 6 skaarj on Unreal difficulty are triggered and will walk to the base where everything is, using PatrolPoints, shortly after that another trigger will trigger 2 SkaarjScouts and they will go to the AlarmPoint and attack you, AlarmPoints and Triggers are used again shortly after that, where 2 SkaarjGunners drop down from a building, while 2 SkaarjInfantry come out of the building.
I must admit that the use of AlarmPoints and PatrolPoints had always confused me a little.
Oh yeah, so true that they are confusing :lol:
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Here's an idea that I have, it may not be as true to the original doom map, since I'm not sure AlarmPoints can be linked through a teleporter, but you could try this

Have a few monsters already inside of the place that opens when you get the key, and some SpawnPoints near the actual teleporters itself with a creaturefactory that spawn custom mercenaries, and when I say custom, I mean one that has its properties set for an AlarmPoint, at which point you could save into MyLevel and have them spawned, simulating the effect that they walk through the teleporter, when really they do not, they are just spawned.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

sorry I'm in a little stress at the moment, thats why my concentration works not well.
Ok, I've the solution for your problem.
You sure can use AlarmPoints and the Merc can be triggered without the need of seeing the player.
In the Mercs Properties set this:

Orders

AlarmTag = first AlarmPoint
bDelayedPatrol = True
bFixStart = True

Also give the Merc a nice name under Events/Tag. You don't need to set his Attitude to Ignore. Just trigger him when the Player picks up the card and he will start his sequence.
For the crash you had, did you look at the logfile for the reason? There should be no problem, even if creatures have to use a teleporter to reach an AlarmPoint or PatrolPoint. If you could repeat the crash and post the logfile can also be helpful.

Kami
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

LOL, no problem ;) I meant that's why my first suggestion was wrong.
I forgot something. When a player picks up the card, make sure the doors open first and then trigger the Merc. The way to the teleporter should be free when the Merc is triggered.
I will make a little test to see how it works when only a teleporter leads to a certain part of the map. I'm still confused about the crash you mentioned. If you could repeat it and post the logfile, would be really helpful.

Kami
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Ok, I did a little test. I used your first map and altered it a little for the test.
The two parts of the map are seperated now. Only way leads through the teleporter.
When you enter the map, wait a little. You will notice that nothing happens. If you go to the Dice in front of the startpoint the Mercenary will start his sequence. Just wait a few seconds and he will come, doing his animation and then attack you.
Please let me know if this is the way you've imagined it.

Kami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Wow, the map looks awsome. Well, I don't know doom and never saw it, but some things are familiar from doom_2a :) .
Finally I could see the part with the Mercs in original :lol: . I noticed they have a little problem to find their way. The settings are all correct, the reason for it is the net around the center. With a little adjustment they will work perfect ;) :D .
Hm Sloth? He is not by chance related to another Sloth from a movie? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great map, you should also make a Coop version of it, hehe :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Kami
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

.....Well, I don't know doom and never saw it.....
WUT? NOOOOOO :lol:

I'm kidding lol, Doom is a really fun game, not much plot but there is a whole lot of monsters, this was one of the games that really got my reflexes in game to a higher level :D

Heres one of my favorite levels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86y2u_RD ... re=related

BBG remade this map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvLGgSJHZb4

And this is doom2_a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpbOAjTh ... re=related
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

I can already think of something off the top of my head.

That large gun used to fight the sloth at the end, I would get rid of that seeing as there will be a large amount of players, a gun like that for everyone to use would be too easy

I just popped open my editor, i'll post more in a few :)

EDIT: Nope I don't see anything else that I'd change :)