perpetual mover

Questions, Informations and Discussions
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: perpetual mover

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

I think it can be done without rabbits. I looked to the little map, but it would be helpful to know what exactly the mover should do in a map and how it should work.
Is it meant to be like a trap that a player must pass? I mean if one player reaches the trap the mover starts moving and if the player passed it stops moving. When the next player comes it starts again and so on. In that case it's easy to do. It would really be useful to know how the mover should work in game to find the right solution for it. Maybe you could post a little drawing for better understanding.

Kami
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I think I found a good and simple solution for your problem. I must admit that I had never before a problem like this. It's easy to make a mover keep moving for all eternity, but to stop it again is a problem. (except the EncroachType is set to Stop)
I will make an example with your little map, so you can see what an idea I have for it. It's easier for me than explaining it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only problem will be the upload to attach it here. I tried with another file and my explorer crashed. Hope to have more luck with it next time. Will soon be ready:)

Kami

Woof Woof
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Kami again :lol:

I have here an example of my idea. I added a txt file with a little explaining. Plz take a look at it and let me know what you think about it.

Woof Woof :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hello, me again :lol:

I thought I make also an example with a button and a niche. It's very simple so plz don't look to close to the design :lol:
I protected the niche with bars and a collision hull to avoid that the mover is activated by accident. As actor I used SuperHealth here. Press the button on the wall and the mover will start after the SHealth spawned. The mover will work as long as no one steps on the white plate in front of the pillar. Once stepped on it the mover stops forever.
If you only want the button on the wall and no visible niche, you can make the box outside of the map. This way you need nothing further for it, even no light :lol: . That should exactly work the way you wanted it.

cya maybe on server :)

Kami

PS: I forgot something. It's important that the actor falls into the TriggerRadius otherwise the mover will not work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

oops, missing file :)

ckmate_tx

Woof Woof
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I have a solution for your problem. PawnTeleportEffect is only called by scripts. You can summon it and even let it spawn. But with spawning it will only work one time 'cause you can't set the normal ThingFactory to spawn an item only each time when it's triggered. When you set maxitems to a value like 10 or 100, it will work, but that's of course useless. It only should work when players use the teleporter.

With a little modification it's possible to use an actor which spawns items or pawns and even effects each time they are triggered. So you can spawn the PawnTeleportEffect and control it with a trigger and a dispatcher. You also will need a SpecialEvent to get the sound of the effect, it's not played when the PawnTeleportEffect is spawning.

I'll do a little u file for it, only thing I need to know is, if you wish a special name for it.

Kami
>KamiKazi<-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by >KamiKazi<-(DOG)- »

Thanks for the flowers, but it's not my script :lol: :lol: :lol:
I found this little routine when study some tutorials. I was looking for a way to let things spawn only when it's triggered by an event. A function which the normal ThingFactory and CreatureFactory can't do. It's by Lode Vandevenne and I gave credits to him in the u file.

I added a little testmap and the u file. This should work the way you want it. Of course it's just simple and you will modify it the way you like it.
I called this actor TSpawn which simply stands for Trigger Spawn. The u file is named BBGTSpawn to make it unique. Of course you can also add it to the MyLevel Package if you don't want an extra file for it. Just take a look at it to see if it works the way you like it.

Kami

WOOF WOOF
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :-)

because you can use the Spawner also for creatures I thought it would be better to make it a little more handy for use in editor. First I took another icon for better visibility. I set bCollideWhenPlacing and bDirectional to True. The collision values are similar to SpawnPoint, so you can use it like a normal SpawnPoint now. Makes it easier when you want to use it for monsters.

You can simply change the one you already have without the need to alter it in the map itself.
Just load it in editor, set bCollideWhenPlacing and bDirectional to True. Set CollisionHeight to 50 and CollisionRadius to 46. Choose under Display an icon you like for it ( I used Texture'Engine.S_Inventory' :lol: ). Compile it under F7 and save the Package. When you load your map now, you will have the altered one in it. I add the one I have for example.

Another tip for the Spawner:
You can't set the amount of items like in Thing- or CreatureFactories, but you can simulate it with a Counter. For example if you use a Trigger for it, also add a Counter with the same Tag the Spawner has. Set the desired amount in the Counter and after it is reached let the Counter deactivate the Trigger. This simulates the capacity setting in the Factories.

About the Queen
There are two ways to solve this annoying problem. You can make a new class for the Queen under ScriptedPawn and copy the QueenScript over. Cut out the Teleporting function and use the new Queen.
Other way is to use QueenDest points. This of course does not avoid the teleporting, but the Queen won't get stuck at one spot.
I think the better solution is to alter the script so the Queen can't teleport anymore :lol:

The screenshots look splendid, can't wait to see the finished version ;) :) :D

Kami
Last edited by £éè£å-(DOG)- on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vertigo
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Vertigo »

Do you have music for it yet? If not... I can remake the original track from DoomII, or do some custom stuff for you. let me know!
V
Vertigo
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Vertigo »

I don't really know how to do the sounds, per se... but I could make that work.

What I was referring to was actually making a new track from scratch for the map.

I am a recording artist, and I actually play Unreal from my recording studio (cuz it's got a La-Z-Boy. hehe) What I was suggesting is that I myself remake the song that played in the original map from DoomII (with real instruments) and have you use that. I plan on talkin to Sparky in the near future about me kinda being the "custom music maker" for us DOGs and adding a new element of coolness to our servers (because how many people on Unreal have their on personal musician for maps?).

Anyway... let me know what you think about that. I have samples of my work if you'd like to hear it.

P.S. this would be with live instruments (Guitars, Drums, Etc.) Basically like the "rock remix" of the track, unless you'd rather have that MIDI feel to it, in which case I could do that, too.
V
Vertigo
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Vertigo »

hmmm...

What if I rendered it as MP3 instead of WAV? That way is would still be small, and in stereo (massively layered guitars panned hard left and right is my specialty. Creates that gigantic "wall of sound" thing), plus it will still be high quality, and not sound like it's playing from a tin trashcan. :P
V
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Yup, you can't import mp3 files. You will need a wav file with the following specifications:

22050 Hz, 8-bit, Mono

higher frequencies shouldn't be used. I noticed that soundeffects with 44100 Hz caused some clients, especially 225, to crash. For conversion I use Goldwave, it's not freeware but works good. Of course I think any other soundeditor will do the conversion as well.

As Tracker I suggest the ModPlug Tracker (MPT). It's Windows based and easy to use. Even I managed to convert a wav to a module file with it, and if I can do it, everyone can do it :lol: :lol: :lol:
The quality of the umx isn't that bad, export some of the original umx's and listen to them with your fav player, they sound still good.
I add a tutorial for the MPT which I used when made my first try. If you follow the steps in it, there shouldn't be a problem.

Kami

PS: The Tracker will not create an umx file, but a module which can be used with the editor. To make the umx with the editor is really simple, if there should be any questions about it let me know.

Edit: yup it's 8-bit Mono which reduces the file size about 50%, 16-bit is for UT :lol:
Last edited by £éè£å-(DOG)- on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustyScrew
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by rustyScrew »

OH my, Map06 The Crusher! Does that mean that there are maps 1-5 to be played on?
Vertigo
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Vertigo »

Three words dude...

BARRELS

O

FUN.
V
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Actually supposed to be 8 bit mono for unreal 16 bit mono for UT. For information on converting wav files to umx look in our utilities downloads.
Anyone with a creative sound blaster card, should use the wave editor to doctor the wav file and convert it to mono. You can precisely trim the in and out points with this program and normalize the levels and clean up bad audio then save it all as a 8 bit mono wave file, import it into modu plug tracker, save as a it file and import it into unreal editor. Most of the songs on sickpups have been processed in this way.