Editor: Tip for working with Movers

Questions, Informations and Discussions
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Editor: Tip for working with Movers

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :-)

During the work with maps I often noticed alignment errors of Movers. It seems even the profis have a problem with it. For example you can find levers which are out of center or doors not in the right positions.
Well, there is a simple explanation for it and a way to avoid this happen.
When you work on your maps and you want to edit some settings of your movers, make sure to turn off the grid before you highlight a mover. With grid on the pivot of the mover will snap to the grid if it wasn't on it, this can alter the position of the mover. For example a Mover was added with gridsize 8 and you edit it later with gridsize 16.
So just make sure grid is turned off when you want to check or edit settings of a Mover.

Kami
Master_Unreal

Re: Editor: Tip for working with Movers

Post by Master_Unreal »

:mrgreen: YES! :mrgreen:

LOL, This issue has been driving me crazy for so long, keypoints that I make would not stay set when I go to check them, oddly enough if I even clicked in the viewport it would go off position, I thought there was no way to fix it so I just had to deal with it sometimes, but this works :D

Thank you so much :D
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Ooppss :oops:

one correction

I just forgot, you need to turn off both, grid and vertex snap.

LOL I always forget things :lol:

Of course if you want to edit the keyframes of a mover, you need to keep the grid on.
Just highlight the mover with grid off and check the pivot. Shouldn't it be on the grid, which is 16 by default, change the scale until you find the right one where the pivot is on the grid.
Then you shouldn't have any problems when working on the keyframes.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Yes, there is a setting you can use, but I've never tried it so I can't say if it works good or not in praxis.
For example a table:

Under Properties/Advanced look for bEdShouldSnap and set it to True.

Deselect and select the table again, you will see the table has a pivot now and it snaps to the grid.

Kami
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

500!!!!!

You want to blow a whole map into pieces? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dieatls
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Dieatls »

is possible to make decoration able to intersect?
How in some maps where made a big statue of Skaarj that it looks liokke substracted brush?
if smone got prefab i wannt it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

It is possible but it will result in at least a few holes, but most likely many holes.

The skaarj you are seeing isn't subtracted, it appears to be additive but actually its just a decoration that's scaled up in size and probably has a new texture on, if you want something like that, try this, it may take a bit of time the first time doing it

lets say you want to do a skaarj statue, what you could do is this, take a nali statue, and put it in place. The default properties that you will want to pay attention to are:

CollisionHeight: 88
CollisionRadius: 22
bPushable: True
DrawScale: 1
Mesh: LodMesh'UnrealShare.NaliStatueM'
Skin: None

You'll want to change the mesh first, select Mesh and click on the ... thats there, a Mesh Browser should pop up, assuming you want a SkaarjWarrior, just find Skaarjw and then hit Use on the properties. After this you'll want the same collision properties from the skaarj onto your statue, look up the default properties for a SkaarjWarrior and copy them over to your statue. Now a bit of math will be involved, lets say you want your statue to be bigger, mess around with draw scale until you have a size you want, now if you change the drawscale, collision properties will stay the same, so lets say you put 4 as your drawscale, you would need to multiply the CollisionHeight and CollisionRadius by 4, and you'll have better collision. chose any skin you want and put it on Skin, it would probably be best for a Base texture or something like that. Change bPushable to false unless you want to be able to move it. After that you are done :)
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

It's great to see you mappers on here, keep it coming.
Dieatls
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Dieatls »

That how to make Decoration Statue i know!
i made some skins that i want to be on NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM JACKAL COOP JCoopZ1 Server!
Im beginner mapper! i only dunno how make movable brush! and i wont need it!
If anyone care im hosting server on 226! Logan is second admin in my server! :) :) :) :) :D :lol:
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Punk'sNotDead wrote:Im beginner mapper! i only dunno how make movable brush! and i wont need it!
LOL believe me, sooner or later you will need movers. For doors, lifts or other cool things ;)
I don't know how experienced you are already, but you should have these ones:

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing/Tutorials_Complete.zip

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing/TCUERG.zip

The first are Wolf's tutorials and the best help when you want to start with mapping. You also can find a very simple and good mover tutorial here.

The second is the most complete Unreal Ed reference you can find. I would say it's a must for all mappers.
Dieatls
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Dieatls »

How about skins? If u got 226 u can view my skin at my serverr! What's NEWUNREAL.COM DOG ?
i see it on wall in DMUNREALCITY.unr
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Another tip for the statues or other Decorations

In the 2D views turn on Radii View. This way you can easily adjust the Collision values like you want them to be.

For the example with the Skaarj-statue
If you have a Nali statue with a Skaarj-mesh you will have the default animation shown which is Fighter.
Open up the Meshbrowser and look for Skaarjwarrior. You will find all possible animations there. Look at them and chose the one you would like the statue to be shown. Remember the name of it and enter it in the statue properties under Display/AnimSequence.