Maps in need of fixing

Questions, Informations and Discussions
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Maps in need of fixing

Post by OoiGooEE »

Howdy Folks,

I've talked about bad maps in MM and DM before on different forums but I thought I would give this one a try. People have talked at length on how to fix them but the actual fixing has never been done. Perhaps one of you industrious mappers would take a swing at one of these and fix them once and for all. Remember I don't know why they don't work just that they don't. I would say to delete them but they are fun maps. :)

T E E T O K
Buttons ( I think this is the name, might be DMButtons)

Maybe I should post this in the whining section but I am nothing if not the squeaky wheel :lol:
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

Work to Eat - Eat to Live - Live to Love - Love to Play - Play at Work
{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
Oldsparky

Re: Maps in need of fixing

Post by Oldsparky »

Done. 8)
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

OoiGooEE-{DoG}- wrote:OoiGooEE wrote:
Buttons ( I think this is the name, might be DMButtons)
BeachBumGuy-(DOG) wrote:Hi!,
Is that the map where we always get disconnected with spiked trap in the middle? It also has the "popcorn" song in the background?
Yup.

Sparky did you just delete? I was hoping to get them fixed. They are fun, good maps :?
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Kami is not around now, so no one to fix.
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

I haven't been playing a whole lot lately but I have a working editor, if you want I can take a look at them
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Sure, take a look at them. I think Kami had figured out what the problem was with bot pathing or something. 8)
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

I know of the problem on the server but I was unable to get the same error, is there a log that I could see? I'd probably be able to narrow it down at that point :mrgreen:
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

DMButtonRMX.unr or DMButton.unr, don't know which one ran on the server.
I tested DMButtonRMX on the Coopserver with monsterspawner and on the MMserver. On both the map runs quite straight, couldn't find a problem. Only thing I noticed is, that the monsters can't use the lifts, but that is easy to fix.
I will need more informations of what is going wrong.
Does this map crashes the server or only clients? If it crashes the server there is a possible reason.
If it only crashes clients, what happens exactly? Does it crash your game or you only get disconnected? If your game crash, does it show an error message?
Any information can be helpful.

PS:Just found Teetok, a 'Clawfist' map :)
What's wrong with this one? Every hint is welcome ;)
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

played DMButtonRMX again and this time for 45 minutes online with the same result, nothing unusual.
When you got disconnected, was the map still running on the server, and could you rejoin it?
For sure there is one thing to fix, these crazy lifts which always kill players :lol:
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

DMButton crashes client. Connection lost, I think. Don't remember, it's been a while. Not in MM, in DM KOTH only (don't remember playing MM in it).

Clawfist I'm not sure but I think that's the one where the lifts get multiple images of weapons on them and stop working (it's only one lift and similar problem of DMButton). I see it in my mind. Rectangle room, 2 lifts that you can jump through gap on ceiling to get shield or ASMD, below (1st level) has 2 fire pits that are opened from second level button.

I think that's it.
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hehe, DMButton is a real fun MM map, monsters everywhere :lol:
Also ran it as normal DeathMatch with 16 Bots :lol: for about an hour without any problems.
There is a possible reason for the crashes, I already had something similiar in another map. I think when it happened every player on the server got disconnected. Correct me, but I also believe that it happened not everytime the map was running. If that is the case, I'm quite sure what caused the crashes. It's not easy to replicate this error as single player, thats why the map runs good in my tests.
I will make a fix and send Sparky the map. When he agrees, it could be tested again. I can't promise right now that it will work, but it's possible when it is the error I think of.

For Teetok I need to take a closer look at the map, only saw it for a few minutes. Will try to find the problem and fix it. If I know more, I'll keep you updated.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

just a little update

I fixed DMButtonRMX and sent it to Sparky.
The map should run now without problems on KOTH and MM. If Sparky decides to give it a try again, you can test it. If there still problems left, please let me know.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Oh, thanks for the hint. I thought of a HOM effect on the lifts because of 'multiple images' :lol:
This sounds like a replication error. I have not the knowledge for these kind of errors :oops: , but I will take a look at it and see what I can do ;)
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Checked Teetok closer and think it's not a replication error. I will make a fix and map can be tried again.
It's a real cool map for KOTH and MM.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

DMTeetok is fixed and should run now without problems, but anyway, keep looking for errors when testing it and let me know if they still occur.