Editor: Birds

Questions, Informations and Discussions
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Editor: Birds

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

Imagine you are outside on a nice day and lets say, you are looking to the sky. And also lets say you are noticing a swarm of birds coming from west and flying to the east until they are gone. I bet everyone already has seen something similar.

In Unreal when you have birds in a map, they are simply flying in circles. Sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller, but always circles. Lets say, you want to do something like I described above. How would you do it?

Well, Unreal birds not only can fly in circles, they also have a function which allows to let them fly from one point to another. Here is an example how to do it.

So you have a map where you want to let a bird or a swarm of birds fly from one side to the other.
First look for a starting place which players can't see. Place, lets say a swarm of 9 birds there.
Now look for an end point on the other side which also cannot be seen by players. Also the way between the two points should be free. Place a SpecialEvent at the end point and give it a unique tag. For example "comehere" :-D.

Now back to the birds. Give them also a nice tag, like "herby" or whatever you like.
Under Bird1/GoalTag enter the name you've given the SpecialEvent, here it is "comehere" (of course without the quotes :-D).
Under Movement adjust the AirSpeed. Default is 300.000000, but the birds will fly with 2 * AirSpeed. So it's a good idea to lower the speed here unless you want them to fly that fast.
When you start your map now, nothing will happen. The birds are just hanging at their start location without any movement.

One last thing to do. To make them start, you need to trigger them. So place a Trigger at a good position which will be touched by a player. Enter as Event "herby" or whatever name you've given the birds.

The birds will only work one time. When they reach their goal, they will be destroyed. So if you want to have more sequences, you've to add birds and end points for each sequence. Of course also Triggers.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Editor: Birds

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

I thought I make a little example for the birds.
Because I'm lazy :lol: , I took a little coop map for the example.
When you enter it, you see some rifle rounds in front of you. Look to the top of the waterfall on the left and pick up the ammo.
A swarm of 9 birds will start there. Watch them as they slowly fly to the other side. The end point is visible, so you can see how the birds disappear once they reached the point.
In the background still 2 regular birds flying, always in circles.

To make your birds work well it is very important, that the way they take is absolutely free. Also make sure, that your birds are not to close together. If one or more of them is blocked by something, they will return and simply start to circle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.