Preview skins ? howto ?

Questions, Informations and Discussions
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Preview skins ? howto ?

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

I've been busy with editting skins.
Is there a preview option in the editor ? I cant seem to find it or i 'm doing something wrong.

Starting unreal takes here about 2 minutes and my screen goes crazy at startup. So i'd like to preview it in the editor and not in the game itself.

Is it possible ?
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Re: Preview skins ? howto ?

Post by DaveAnd___ »

LOL - and you asked me to make one for you and you're already an expert lol :)
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

LOL...what mad u reply to a posting thats 3 yrs old ???...lol
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Post by DaveAnd___ »

wever.nl-(DOG)- wrote:LOL...what mad u reply to a posting thats 3 yrs old ???...lol
HaHa... there was a question posted about making skins... I was looking to see if there was already a thread for it.... LOL

:)
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

DaveAnd___ wrote:
wever.nl-(DOG)- wrote:LOL...what mad u reply to a posting thats 3 yrs old ???...lol
HaHa... there was a question posted about making skins... I was looking to see if there was already a thread for it.... LOL

:)
Well, is there an updated one?

Maybe u can post it here ?
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Post by >KamiKazi<-(DOG)- »

I still couldn't find a preview tool for skins and since I started to create a new skin for me, I had to find a way to watch my changes without loosing to much time. I don't know if it's of any use, but I tell here what I've done.

You need 3 things: Unreal (of course :) ), the Editor and your fav graphic prg

1. I made a simple map. Build a room like 1024*1024*1024 (should be big enough) use a texture which gives a good contrast, and add enough light to the room (leave it as white light)

2. Create a new skinfile for your work. I took Female1 and added two skins in. You can take the original and another for working on. I named this one test. I saved this skinfile as Female1test. (Don't forget the int for it if you want to view the changes on yourself)

3. Add a Carcass to your map (here Female1Carcass), load your new skinfile into Editor and give the carcass your working skin. You can change the Drawscale of the carcass for better viewing. Save this map under a simple name (I took 00). Close the Editor.

4. Open the Editor again and load your skinfile (but no map!!!). Open your graphic prg and start editing the pcx file of your working skin. After you made changes and want to see it, save the pcx file. Change to Editor, delete the working skin and import the changed pcx and save to utx.(Don't close the Editor and the graphic prg)

5. Start Unreal and type in console - open 00 (or whatever name you choose) and you can see your work. With using the carcass for it, you can see your work from all sides. And for better detail working you can make the carcass bigger. Close Unreal, change back to your graphic prg and go on with the work. (keep the graphic prg and the Editor open as long as you are working on the skin, so you don't need to load everytime)

This way I can make changes to a skin and watching the result in short time.
If you want to see your work running around just add a Bot to the map with the skin :lol:

Hope my description is not to confusing :lol:

PS: Of course you can also use the carcass only for checking your changes. That way you don't need to run Unreal everytime. Just look to it in the Editor. The advantage with looking in game is better view and of course the rendering type.