Unreal PSX Prequel Episode 0 released!

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Unreal PSX Prequel Episode 0 released!

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Images from yrex.

Download link: Episode Zero

Aka the Horror Deck. Oldskool entries included, for best experience choose from the menu as it links with the replacement gametype, otherwise funky things happen.

Tested with coop too.

Unreal 225(4), 226, OldUnreal 227 versions and Unreal Tournament supported.

The intro/outro map music works only on openal and perhaps fmod (untested). On Galaxy you'll get no music.

Please enjoy.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Unreal PSX Prequel Episode 0 released!

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

this looks great! i will test it within the next few days! :)
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thanks! I don't expect any "real" problems since this has had quite a lengthy debugging time, lol.

Hyper
FOD
FOD

Post by Hyper »

Episode 0?

Sorry, but I lost track of the development of Unreal PSX a long time ago. I've seen some demo or beta releases before and an announcement of a 30+ map project that would take many years to reach release quality.

Is this the release of the Unreal PSX conversion project or something else? Mind to give an outsider some basic info about the state / history of the project?
Alter your reality...forever.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
[url]unreal://unreal.hypercoop.tk[/url]
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

I just played this offline and really enjoyed it. A very oldschool feel. :)

There were some simple yet good puzzles to solve and I love the music on the map episode0outro and the HUGE rocket. The FlameGun secondary fire is fun and the flyby is superb. I "ghosted out" of the flyby to explore it more and I love this Nali church....

2018_2_27_20_46_31_827-PSXFlyby.jpg

Good stuff!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Hyper wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm Episode 0?

Sorry, but I lost track of the development of Unreal PSX a long time ago. I've seen some demo or beta releases before and an announcement of a 30+ map project that would take many years to reach release quality.

Is this the release of the Unreal PSX conversion project or something else? Mind to give an outsider some basic info about the state / history of the project?
This is the prequel to episode 1, in fact in co-op or if you lack the map PSXFlyby, it will take you there to UPB-E1L1A, you still host those maps, so these come "before" these.

Episode 0 was planned maybe just as a coverdisc demo for the game, so this is yet another demo and I'm working towards 2018 release of Episode 1 Part 2 and then the rest should come faster. (episode 1 part 2 required the most work - most maps are missing etc)

So this is kind of an interlude and taste of things to come, in fact I planned to release upb-misc2 just as part of that, but it took so long that episode 0 got released earlier than part 2 of episode 1.

So yes this is all part of the rework project and takes place before the events of the maps you played and host.

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 pm
I just played this offline and really enjoyed it. A very oldschool feel. :)

There were some simple yet good puzzles to solve and I love the music on the map episode0outro and the HUGE rocket. The FlameGun secondary fire is fun and the flyby is superb. I "ghosted out" of the flyby to explore it more and I love this Nali church....

2018_2_27_20_46_31_827-PSXFlyby.jpg

Good stuff!
That nali church is playable in episode 1 part 1 (released in 2013 already - you can get it at hyper's site for example). The only file that got updated since then was the quadshot stuff, alternatively get all the files/updates here: www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-rework-rise-of-jrath

Thanks.

EDIT: just as a note, the upsxquadshot file has been net conformed so even the patch update of it shouldn't cause net conflicts for regular version players.

Hyper
FOD
FOD

Post by Hyper »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 am
Hyper wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm Episode 0?

This is the prequel to episode 1, in fact in co-op or if you lack the map PSXFlyby, it will take you there to UPB-E1L1A, you still host those maps, so these come "before" these.

Episode 0 was planned maybe just as a coverdisc demo for the game, so this is yet another demo and I'm working towards 2018 release of Episode 1 Part 2 and then the rest should come faster. (episode 1 part 2 required the most work - most maps are missing etc)

So this is kind of an interlude and taste of things to come, in fact I planned to release upb-misc2 just as part of that, but it took so long that episode 0 got released earlier than part 2 of episode 1.

So yes this is all part of the rework project and takes place before the events of the maps you played and host.
Thanks for the explanation. With this information, I wrote a news post at my website and I added your map to my downloads as well.
Alter your reality...forever.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
[url]unreal://unreal.hypercoop.tk[/url]
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thank you for the news post.

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I wasn't prepared for this but using glitchreal on this is a deadly combination.

The shuttle was textured with the gothic "naked" woman and boulders start attacking you in skycity retexture, then on next load zombies start coming who insist "We're the good guys" while eating you....

"I'm closing in on the target" while a door is closing. Classic.

And I can't even describe what's happening with episode0outro using glitchreal. O O

strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

great work leo!! we will add the maps to the rotation! :) WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Don't forget yrex lol, he created horrordeck about from scratch following the document describing the rooms/layout (and events such as the pipe blowing/generator etc).

In fact just like with episode 1 etc it was going to be split into multiple map parts, but we dropped that because the original maps for this weren't done as such or only parts/tests.

The reason I didn't merge all the maps into one in episode 1 is that some of that created too many bsp problems so I stuck to the multiple parts per level.

Even though some of the maps did start as one big map early on in the developement, but so many changes have been made since.

They were going to release it eventually as expansion pack too and some of them already started working towards that. But I suppose there would be even more ties to Unreal, such as the alternative look of vortex rikers would have to be altered to match the original more closely etc. With the PSX game they were kind of setting it in an alternate universe and drawing inspiration from the Unreal novels. In fact this rework is already more closer to Unreal than the original material was, even though it's not as big of a change as if the expansion pack idea went through.

Usually PSX ports of games even if it doesn't feature a new story like this or the N64 Quake 2....
Usually PSX ports still take measures and changes to the overall game, like Quake 2 PSX having level differences and more creatures and some new levels. Same happened to Doom though I'm less familiar with that. In those days when they had to alter things to run smoother they usuaully took advantage of that and set the game as kind of alternate version of the real one.
These days usually console ports are identical or mostly identical to the ibm PC counterparts.

SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by SerpentineStorm-(DOG)- »

What an effort this deserves to be admired upon, Leo!

By the way, I did play Episode One Part One, and I was wondering "Does Episode 0 include maps and content from Episode 1 as well?"

This should go well for a mod like this, keep it up.

Xelios ends this message, Best Regards.

WOOF!
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

The Flyby contains parts of maps (of special versions) that are features all thorought the game, this includes even episode 3 maps (which is the last episode).

Of episode 2 it only contains one map though.