Katsc'Ha Haven - An UnrealGold Singleplayer map

Questions, Informations and Discussions
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Katsc'Ha Haven - An UnrealGold Singleplayer map

Post by makemeunreal »

[center]Image[/center]

[center]"...You wake up drowning in a pond... ...a flying monster tries to cut you up... ...all you know is that you have to escape no matter what it takes..."[/center]

This map is a perfect example of my content-hungry campaign. It was started with almost no plans in my mind. The very first brush must be more than 8 years old.
With no story, I canned the ready-to-be-played map, only to lose it in a HDD crash. Lucky me, I've sent it to a few friends for playtest and one of them still had an early version.
Heated by curiosity I opened it in the editor and decided to give it some story and release it.

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uq4fzu1f8fgl ... 1.rar?dl=1
Last edited by makemeunreal on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Re: Katsc'Ha Haven - An UnrealGold Singleplayer map

Post by makemeunreal »

WIP shot.
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

RELEASED! SEE FIRST POST!
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

the screenshots look pretty cool! i will check out the map as soon as i find the time to! WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Hi makemeunreal,

Could you please add the file UTTech1.utx to your archive, for those of us who don't have UT and want to play your map offline.

Providing that is the only missing package then I am happy to test your map online today or tomorrow with you. Sure, I could grab it from the server's textures folder, rip if from my cache folder or download it somewhere, but it's nice to have an complete archive which contains all necessary packages. :)

If you PM me a convenient time for you to play, then we can play on it on the test server this weekend at some point.

Speak shortly.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

Thank you for the feedback! Let me link a no-file-missing package:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g75rcbdnyz3mv ... P.rar?dl=1
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

HI thanks for that.

I enjoyed this map MMU. The ammo/weapon placement is generally good and progressive, although I ran out of automag ammo on a few occasions before I could get past the Krall and Pupae to reach the Stinger. Maybe just a few more well-placed Clips early on in the map would help. Maybe I wasted too much ammo shooting barrels, I will play it again a few times to see. :)
Well after a few more play-throughs I definitely ran out of ammo towards the end where the Mantas and Gasbags are, so I would recommend adding a few more ammo pickups, not too many though because when the player is "over-powered" a map can easily become a "walk in the park". That recommendation would be purely for Singleplay though because most COOP servers give the players weapons automatically.

The translator messages are very Unreal canon. I particularly like how the player discovers a dead "chubby nali" and then later in the map there's a message about :-

"My fat brother Kajouli didn't make it to the basement. May Chizra help him."

That message made me smile, nice little linking story there!

I liked the placement of the superhealth, I was glad to find it!

The "island-hopping" with the jumpboots was fun and it took me 4 attempts to finally reach the end!

Two things that I would point out is that the Rifle the player finds in the tower is invisible after being picked up and there is quite a large "invisible block" in the map about here :-

2018_8_19_12_17_5_265-KHaven1.jpg

Do you have plans for a KHaven2 (which is the end teleporter)? I ask because if you are going to make more maps in this series, then it makes sense to wait before adding them to a server, so that all the maps would be in sequence on a server.

Overall - good work, I enjoyed it.

PS. The Nali in the screenshot below sure had a great view out of its bedroom window. I hope that Nali wasn't a sleepwalker though because that would be a dangerous place to sleepwalk! :cheesygrin:

2018_8_19_12_0_53_437-KHaven1.jpg

Thanks for your efforts. It is appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

Thanks for all the kind words! I appreciate it.