Patch 227e

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Oldsparky

Re: Patch 227e

Post by Oldsparky »

I do not support 227 client enhancements. If a player chooses 227 for their client machine, they are on their own.

I have opposed this lack of non compatibility of this patch since early on and thus have elected not to adopt it, and my feelings have not changed. We have several players that use 227 and that includes me as a second test install on my client. I do not see any need to change my servers to accept changes due to 227 client issues or game changes caused by 227. I find the 227 client use to primarily follows Old Unreal users and not as a rule the general unreal community. Quite frankly I think its creating a splitting factor in the remaining players, which was my original reason to elect to walk away and adopt Newbies policy of non support, because of this lack of backward compatibility. The unreal cache log created by the 227 cache process creates and remains a huge security problem for custom mod's and custom skins. I still find this unacceptable as well. I am unable to do anything about this on the server end and I notified Old Unreal of my concerns pre release of the 227 mod.

We will not be running 227 maps or mods.

After 11 years of sponsoring 225 servers, which I would say are mature servers, I find no reason to adopt a patch that seems to have little game improvement and is questionable in my mind as to security because of my lack of understanding code. My reasons to remain with feet stuck in dirt are the cache issues and lack of compatibility to earlier game versions.

With only I would guess 120 players remaining in the unreal universe, I think anything that causes incompatibility for new players, will lead to eventual self destruction of the remaining community.

THIS IS THE OLD MANS OPINION AND NOT THE OPINION OF THE DOG CLAN AS A WHOLE. BUT IN THIS CASE THE OLD ONE RULES NAY TO 227 SERVER SUPPORT.