A very Interesting tip...

POST PLAYING SETTINGS AND SUGGESTIONS HERE
Masterman
FOD
FOD

A very Interesting tip...

Post by Masterman »

I was informed last night by a player who beta tested Unreal and he shared a tip with me that I never even knew existed, and that I have been subconciously using for years and being called a bot in the process lol.

Apparently, when Unreal was in development, Epic incorporated a feature called AutoAim. I always wondered what it was for, and interestingly enough, it has to do with people who didn't play with a mouse back when the game was released. This feature is designed to give people who play without a mouse a greater chance at hitting opponents and/or monsters with the rifle and ASMD primary. What it does is it gives a greater kill area with these weapons. Think of it as a built in "bot". It will only work though when you use your movement keys only. So, to utilize it, aim at someone with the mouse, and just strafe their position without moving your mouse. I tried it conciously the other night, and to my surprise it works flawlessly. Also, the greater the distance you are at, the more effective it is.

I always noticed that when I strafed a player, and could hit them much better and therefore designed my gameplay around that. For those of you who started off playing game without strafing and later picked it up, you may have a hard time getting it to work right.

Just something I thought I'd share with you guys :)
DaveAnd___
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Re: A very Interesting tip...

Post by DaveAnd___ »

Thanks! That totally make sense with what I've was told recently - but I don't think the person realised the reason why strafe aiming was a better technique.

I'm 90% mouse aim, because of my ping is use rockets more, and aim in the air alot... a player suggested using strafe aim more often as it improves accuracy, but I'm guessing its auto aim that does that for them.... without them knowing.
Missionary2001
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Missionary2001 »

Thats pretty awesome, just like in the old days 8)
I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!
}TCP{Wolf
FOD
FOD

Post by }TCP{Wolf »

I've re-checked this when I was at Smirftsch and I only got it to work offline - which is how it was intended to work. What "AutoAim" does is it levels your aim on a vertical level properly, but not horizontally - so you still have to aim left/right.

Either, you have found a way to activate this ONLINE - this would be a bug - or it's something else...
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Wolf, I've noticed more and more that when dodge strafing a player, this "bug" becomes more evident and efficient. Also I've noticed that the farther you are away, the more effective as well...

Alot of players note/complain (hehe) that I crouch/slide in combination with strafe dodging alot as well, which improves my aim 10 fold. Perhaps the multiple values being inputted through the controls have some effect as well? You would know more about this than I, being a scripting guru and all.. 8)
}TCP{Wolf
FOD
FOD

Post by }TCP{Wolf »

Umm... I know I replied to this.... where did my post go... :-S

EDIT: ah... wasn't there something about TNN meltdown...
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
}TCP{Wolf
FOD
FOD

Post by }TCP{Wolf »

Okay, let's try this again....

Master, what I did to debug that "feature" was the following:

There is a mod called "Lasersight". I don't know out of my head how to summon the item but just open the package in the editor or UTPT to find the classname.

When a laser is attached to your weapons, a red trail and dot is drawn at precisely the spot a shot will travel, taking everything into consideration: location, firing offset, rotation, left/right/center handedness, obstruction, etc.... Where the red dot is, the shot goes, 100% guaranteed.

This mod is buggy online, as it causes a ton of scripterrors and leaves red trails permanently all over the map, but it's still okay to debug with it.

Now, in offline mode, you can clearly see that with auto-aim enabled, the red dot "jumps" a bit when your aim gets close to a pawn (or carcass), and locks at the target's location unless you aim away again clearly. While the dot is "locked" you will always hit it (naturally).

Online, this jump never occurs, regardless of your auto-aim setting. Also, I confirmed the working / not-working of the auto-aim feature by using a rifle and shooting cows with it, aiming just a couple of pixels off the mark. These shots clearly hit every time offline, but never online.

This behavior directly contradicts your description, so either there are more settings involved, or it's something entirely else. I also looked at the code, and unless there is a bug in the Unreal engine, the behavior I just described is exactly the one expected, because auto-aim is DISABLED online. You see now why I have difficulty following you....
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

I understand what you are saying Wolf. Perhaps, like you said, it is yet another bug in the game engine that I have discovered (why me, lol). I have noticed though, that as the ping of the player increases, this "bug" decreases exponentially.

Maybe one day you and I can get into a server somewhere and i'll show ya...
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I know this is an old topic...but the lasersight mod, I made a fixed version of it for my newrifle at Gott mod at 2007, works fine online too, had it enabled for zooming mode only. And yes it always shows where the shot will go, the crosshair is not as acurate as the laser spot itself..

Also you mentioned a betatester, can you pm me who is it? I wonder if he has the betas alphas etc still, there was attempt to recover the betas but they were lost in a flood actually (all the developement stages of Unreal) and some people still ask for others if they have those..so far the attemps were unsucesful it seems...
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959