Vista/AMD/Direct3D problem solved

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
DaveAnd___
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Vista/AMD/Direct3D problem solved

Post by DaveAnd___ »

As some may know my monitor broke so i had tried playing unreal on my laptop(AMD dual core).

I encountered problems and this is what i did to fix it.
The problem was choppy game play.

First off. I knew that unreal(and other games) sometimes have issues with dual-core so i tried turning a core off.
This did not help me. but there are program which will permanently set the affinity of a process to single core, but you can also do this in task manager too, by minimizing the game and opening the task manager - right click the unreal process and use the set affinity tool.

The next think i tried, which also didnt work was using the AMD cpu optimizer. There is a know issue with the synchronization of games on AMD due to the reliance on a micro code instruction in windows, which is no loner useful for timing in games.

This did improve things slightly...

Finally, to completely fix the issue i set these fields in my unreal.ini - for the drive i was using (Direct3D9 in this case).

And now my game runs perfectly.

SwapInterval=1 ;VSync is required due to high usage of flicker lights in the game. Otherwise hellish tearing.
UseAA=False ;AA disabled. Creates jumpiness. Use Catalyst to force AA instead.
FrameRateLimit=60 ;We need this to clear jumpy behaviour.

These settings were found on old unreal wiki...
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... /ATIHD2600

Thanks

I hope this helps other people!

Unreal ROCKS!

-Dave
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Re: Vista/AMD/Direct3D problem solved

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

where have u been man ?
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Re: Vista/AMD/Direct3D problem solved

Post by DaveAnd___ »

:)

Been trying to fix my monitor, and at the same time get my laptop upto a playable level.

Given up on the monitor, so I will get a new one once I have decided what i need/want.

In the mean time, I got my laptop set up sorted. just need to set more binds like: "say :)" and "say LOL"
and some weapon switching keys..

Hope to be in there later... :)

Missing the good games :)