Help...

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Master_Unreal

Help...

Post by Master_Unreal »

Installed the processor, it's recognized, but there's another problem,

No Boot Device Found

what exactly does this mean? Help
Master_Unreal

Re: Help...

Post by Master_Unreal »

Yeeeeeah...........

I may be back in a week maybe, right now it's one of two things

1. The Hard drive section of the mobo is fried
2. The Hard drive is fried

I'd be extremely, extremely lucky if reformatting even worked, which it probably won't but I honestly don't care, it won't hurt a thing to try
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Google is very much my friend, there may be another problem

This message also appears when the processor is not compatible with the motherboard, if this is the case, it should be just a matter of putting the old one back, as I still have it wrapped up somewhere, my dad wants to try it this afternoon

I really hope this is the case
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Hi :)

When I understand correctly, you installed a new processor and now your hard drive is not recognized or working anymore. Well, sounds not good.
First, may sound stupid, but check your bios settings if your hard drive is still the first bootdevice.
If it is, you should check it with another PC to make sure it's not damaged and still working. If this is the case, maybe your motherboard is damaged. You will need someone with experience to find the problem.
I would never change a processor by myself. I know, many people say it's easy to do, but one little thing done wrong and your hardware is history. Better let it be done by an expert, that's still cheaper than buy new hardware.
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Yes, when I installed it, it at first said no hdd found, then I switched the plugs, and it gave no boot device found, however in the bios, it recognized the hard drives and their capacity, it also said that a hard drive was present, so either part of the hdd is corrupted, or the CPU is not supported by the motherboard, but I'm still not 100% on what it is, gonna find out later today, since my dad wants to install it.
W3RM(Woof)
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by W3RM(Woof) »

‏‏‎ ‎
Last edited by W3RM(Woof) on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Well switching em up just makes it so the motherboard doesn't recognize it, but its in the right slots, the motherboard recognizes em, but its just not booting

Out of curiosity, is it possible to fry a hard drive by plugging it in a different plug? It doesn't seem very likely at all, but then again I really don't know at all.
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

:D

this is great, this whole thing might not be as bad as it looked, im gonna try this right now, ill post back and tell how this works out
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Ok, this is exactly what had happened

1. Turned on PC
2. F2
3. Made the CD the first boot device
4. Recovery Console
5. Did exactly as the page told
6. After Step 6 on the page, i got this

Error: Failed to add the selected boot entry to the boot list.
Dumb question, but does RC support Media Center Edition, since dell decided to pack that with the pc

Anything else that could've gone wrong?

EDIT: Ok, I'm doing a chkdsk right now, ARGH its taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrr, posting back when its done......if its done :P
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

This is the most torturous "test" ive ever called "test" in my entire life

This is pretty much how my day went

1:00 AM, woke up from sunburn pain, mom took care of it, i was informed about the processor problem, dad wanted to take care of it
11:00 AM, dad leaves for work, mom is working later today
2:00 PM, find out that my dad will be late
5:00 PM, find out dad will be home at 11 PM
7:00 PM, dads phone goes dead, cant contact him and try to ask why i cant just install it myself
9:00 PM, Chkdsk goes from 75% back to 50% after it took an hour to get to 75%, mental insanity occurs

Why did chkdsk just go back from 75% to 50%?

Dads laptop ftw, im installing unreal on it for now

Thermal paste was used, as for the CMOS, dad says not to do any hardware changes without him

These Specs are as close as i can get

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 750w
Motherboard: Unknown(Dell XPS 400)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.4 ghz
GPU: BFG Tech Nvidia GTX 275
Sound: Creative X-Fi 5.1 USB card
HDD: 2, WD 1TB SATA, Dell pre-packaged 75GB SATA
RAM: 3GB DDR2

Hopefully those will help
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Durp

lol, didnt know CMOS wasnt hardware, but since my dad really wants to switch out processors, we'll do that first, if problems still happen, we can always put the other one back. But should problems still occur then i will definitely try what you said

I was also digging around in the folders just to see if anything was out of the ordinary, everything is still the same, the hard drives are fine, this narrows down the problem with that really happened, should switching the processors do nothing, i will reset cmos and bios, if that does nothing, i will do a repair install

Chkdsk just acted weird at first, it finished and reported all was ok

The hdd's are NOT defective, that is a 100% fact

since my dad won't be home till late, ill get back to you tommorow with whats going on

You have been the hugest help in this, its highly narrowed down the problem and i see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for all the help from everyone ive gotten "involved" in this, lol, See ya tommorow :D
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Things aren't looking good

Replacing Processor = Fail
CMOS & BIOS reset = fail
Repair Install = not even there = fail

There was one thing that advanced the boot process

by setting the drives config to RAID ON, I was able to get to the Xp loading screen before it BSOD's
It bluescreens on any boot option aswell(safe mode)

Since I'm heading to my grandparents house tommorow, I'm gonna bring the hard drives there and test em out, back up whatever I need, and when I get home, reformat them both

Should that fail, the motherboard has a problem, and I'll buy a new one
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Well unless I'm at my grandparents house, I won't be on, and I'll tell you why

While researching even deeper than I initally thoght I needed to, I found out that the exact type of processor I have is only supported by ONE motherboard, which is no longer manufactured, so I don't think I can explain the word for the state my computer is in, I'm going to try and get my money back and will post when something comes up, I have found another processor AND board that comes with it And heatsink, new, TigerDirect

Intel Core i3 2.93 ghz

It's upgradable all the way up to a core i7 and supports ddr3 ram, this is 200 bucks, and I'm hoping for the best, expect contact by Wednesday at the latest
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

It's not worth it anymore to upgrade an existing system. To go from a 3.2GHz to a 3.4GHz processor is worthless. I suggest you use that $200 for a new Mobo, CPU, and RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.419982
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

I'm also with ya on that, if BOTH processors don't work, then it's become an issue of the motherboard, and yes, newegg has the best prices, I just got home and will look up some prices
my grandmother has approved my coming over and will be working my butt off there, I'll get back to you guys later